Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig or FX problem. One of the two....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Jul 19, 2004.

1. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I just gave my new rig setup its first real test today and I bumped into my first problem:

I plugged my BP50 into the FX loop of my B2R head, and it doesnt seem to be working at all. I made sure everything was hooked up properly... everything was on. And I played with a couple buttons and such, and I got nothing. After that failed, I tried pluging it directly into the input of the head, and it worked perfectly normal. (same cables and all)

Then I plugged it back into the FX loop, and I tried switching back and forth between "pre" and "post" eq. when I switched to "pre", my speakers were playing a signal from the processor. I could tell, because I had it set on Phaser... and.... we all know what a phaser sounds like :p ...... but I tried playing, and nada. :eyebrow:

I guess I havent tested it fully as of yet, but I didnt have time. I'm going to try unhooking the B2R from the power amp, and just use it on its own, and see if it works. :help:

Does the Effects Loop just not work when your hooked up to a power amp like that? I wouldnt think so... since preamps have the same jacks for Effects. Or could this be happening because I'm using an XLR cable to go into the power amp, and not a 1/4"?

I hope I can fix this... I dont wanna have a chain of pedals, really (which I would if the FX loop doesnt work)... then I'd have to get a weirdo mini-cable. Those bug me...... like midgets bug me :bag:

2. You want to go from the pre-out of the B2r into the effects rack input. Then connect the effects rack output to your power amp. That should work.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you use the line out of the B2, you bypass the whole preamp in "pre" setting. In "post", the preamp is in-line but the master isn't. The loop IS included in "post", however. Check the system block diagram in the manual.

Just run the pre out (1/4") to the power amp. That is how it is set up inside the unit. There isn't any particular advantage with the XLR if your external power amp is right there with the unit.

Any reasonable power amp with a balanced input should work fine using 1/4 inch connections.

If you heard an output signal from the processor, you should be getting a signal through it when playing.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Plugging it into the front of the amp would require only two cables. Plugging it into the effects loop requires three... two for the loop (in and out) and one for the front (input).

At that point did you try swapping the two cables you used at the effects loop? Hearing the phaser only meant that the effects (FX) unit output cable was working. Your results could indicate a defective input cable to the FX unit.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah um.... I think my problem might be that I had the master on the B2R turned down all the way. I'll try all the suggestions you guys gave.... although I was told by a couple people that an XLR would give me less "humming" and such. But... whatever. I'll try whatever works. Thanks for the input :)