Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig poll -

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Rig 1 - 2 avatar 2x12's powered by a qsc plx 2402

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. Rig 2 - 1 or 2 avatar 2x10's biamped with an acme b4 powered by a qsc plx 3402.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Hey guys and gals. I'm really in a pickle on which setup I want. Both will cost me the same. I'm in a rock band and my acme just doesn't cut through the mix. Weight is not an issue as my band has a road crew. We play from large outdoor events to bars. I'm planning on using my sansamp rbi preamp.

Rig 1 - 2 avatar 2x12s and a qsc 2402.

Rig 2 - 1 or 2 avatar 2x10's biamped with an acme b4 powered by a qsc plx 3402.

The big difference between these rigs is that I could use a borrowed power amp for awhile on rig 1, but eventually I'll need to get my own power amp.

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I vote for rig #1 for two reasons:

(1) I'm not a big fan of mixing cabinets...I think that having all one brand will yield a more uniform sound (at least in this case).

(2) According to Andy at Acme, his cabs don't take well to bi-amping.

That having been said, I love Acme cabs -- I just think they don't mix and match well with others.

-Aram

3. I voted #1 because I'm a big fan of the bigger woofers.:bassist:

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Rig #3. Get one Bergie HT322 with the PLX2402 and let it do everything you need... Will sound better, and I can't imagine it not giving you enough volume.

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Well, soundoholic, since you already have a B4, are you open to another suggestion? How about stacking an EA VL210 on top?

I've used this setup only once because I rarely need this much volume. Actually I have two B2s, not a B4, but with the VL210 alongside, it's a potent rig. And the dimensions of the 210B are roughly 23"wide by 16"deep - about the same as your B4. It would make a nice looking stack.

I agree somewhat with Aram that Acmes are finicky mates, but they CAN be paired with other brands. My current favorite "medium size" rig is one B2 and one VL208.

6. I've been thinking about my acme and I think it's time to retire it. It just isn't for rock. It sounds awesome in a jazz setup but it's just not designed to rip through a mix. I love the sound of it in a good room but that is it. I think a couple of 2x12's will provide the amount of punch and low end I need.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think I would prefer one 2x12 and one 2x10 (probably not Acme -- there would be a big efficiency difference there).

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's been my experience that Acmes just can't get loud enough for rock. Perhaps they have for others, but not for me.

I'd go with Rig 1. I just bought a B212 Delta and think it sounds great. I have it stacked on top of a horizontally oriented CB115H and the low end from the pair is killer. Haven't gigged with them yet though.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ill second that.

10. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Another suggestion...

The Acme's are very flat across the frequency range. When you say they don't cut through it sounds like a combination of sound pressure level and equalisation. As its easier to start with flat and tweak eq than start with bumpy and get back to flat, how about 2 B4s with a versatile tone shaping device like an Alembic SF2 to give you more punchy eq.

You should probably experiment with power amps as well - as watts ain't necessarily watts when it comes to psychoacoustics.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I would prefer 2 2x10's, and the QSC.
    Hellllllll yeah.