rig selection advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Dec 22, 2002.

1. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    I am seeking to have a highly portable rig with which I would be taking subways, taxis and busses.

So, I thought if I get a small, light weight amp and get a similar 2x10 cab I could be able to carry one cab in hand and have my bass and amp in my gigbag/backpack. then get another 2x10 or a 12 for gigs and louder settings.

What amps are there which are small, powerfull and light?

Which 2x10 is the most easily portable? (I like the specs on the Acme Low B-2 Series II)

BTW I play mostly rock.

2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I wouldn't consider any of the 2x10s I've ever picked up to be one-hand-able. If you know you can carry an (at least) 14"x24"x12", 50 lb box, then go for it though.

Otherwise. . .maybe an Aguilar GS112? Heard good things about them, fairly loud, good thick tone. Two apparently makes a pretty nice big rig. There are a number of other 1x12s out, though most take more power (the exception being the EA CXL-112, loudest single-driver cab out there perhaps, but it's a bit larger than the rest - maybe OK for you).

I have and Acme Low-B1 and it's one-hand material, but not loud enough much of the time. I've also got some EA VL-110s - they're OK weight-wise, but I've found the handles on them (spring-loaded) not very friendly for one-handing, they hit your legs when you walk.
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    How about an Eden 210XST? 450 watts power handling, around 60 lbs, and it goes down to 31hz I think.
  4. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Hartke has the Transporter (TP) line of cabinets that are fairly light. There is a tradeoff in sound though.
    The Hartke 210TP is 36 lbs and is $249.99 new at
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ampeg porta bass....