Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by FUNKDADA, Apr 16, 2001.

1. I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IF ADDING A COMPRESSOR OR A SONIC MAXIMIZER TO A SWR SM-900 GOLIATH III WILL TIGHNTEN UP MY SLAP SOUND AND WHATS THE BEST FOR THE DOLLAR . I WAS TOLD ADDING A EQ WOULD BE OVER KILL BECAUSE THE SWR SM-900 IS ALREADY SO VERSITLE.I KNOW IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH TECHNIC BUT FOR THE MOMENT UNTIL IT IMPROVES CAN I MASK IT VIA MAXIMIXER/COMPRESSOR? AND MY AX IS A LAKLAND 55-94 IF THAT IS RELATIVE AT THIS POINT.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There are certain kinds of slap sound that are very much compressor sounds - if you get a fairly versatile compressor (ie, one that has attack, release, knee and ration controls), you should be able to experiment with what works for you.

you're dead right that it's mainly about technique, and you might be better of spending your money on lessons to get some ideas rather than gear that may or may not work for the sound you're looking for.

the gear lists in Bass Player magazine can sometimes be instructive with regards to how to find particular sounds, but ultimately it's down to you finding your own sound (I know, that's not what you want to hear, but either I tell you know, or you find out the hard way... :oops:)

have fun

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. For a first compressor, you might want a very easy to use one like the ART Levelar. I think the Levelar is the cheapest one that works right, because no matter what you do, it refuses to "pump" or "breathe." Normally, tube compressors cost the earth, but not the Levelar. It does get a little hot, and it has a wall wart, but those are no big deal when you consider the sound and price. Last time I looked, zzounds.com had the best price. I have a BBE 482 and I love it but I think what you want is something to even out your volume while you slap, is that it? Then it's a compressor/limiter you want.