Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Setup Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwleaver, Aug 29, 2004.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    In the next few days I will be the proud owner of my dream rig. What I am wondering is what would be the most efficient setup/wiring for this signal chain?
    The components I have are the following..

BBE BMax Premp/Sonic Maximizer
    Presonus Bluemax compressor
    Stewart 2.1 Power Amp.

I currently own an Avatar 2x12. I am thinking of going with a Dr Bass 2x12 and a 2x10, or maybe (2) 1210 cabinets.

One other question is what kind of cables do I need to hook up the Stewart to my cabinets? The Stewart uses binding posts and the closest thing I could see would be banana plug -> 1.4 inch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I would put the Presonus compressor into the effects loop of the BBE Preamp. Then the output of the Preamp into the input of the Power Amp. For the binding posts you use bare wires (like on a lot of home stereo equipment) to whatever input the cabinets have. If you can't find the right lead you can probably just buy one that has the right connector for the cab and just cut the other end off and strip it back for the binding posts.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Do the speakers have ordinary 1/4" phone jacks? If so, do yourself a favor and get speaker cables with banana plugs on one end, and phone plugs on the other. That way you can avoid the hassle of connecting and unconnecting bare wires when you're moving your rig around. You should be able to find those type cables at your local bass store, or maybe even at GC (or more likely MF). Make sure to get "speaker" cables, that can handle high power. 2100 watts is quite a bit of juice.

4. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the cables. IS there a particular gauge I should lean towards, or a manufacturer? I do have 1/4 inch inputs and am going to switch to speakon, probably, on future cabinets. In your professional opinions, does Speakon provide more efficient movement of the signal, as opposed to 1/4 inch? I think I read that somewhere. I guess some power loss is not going to mean a lot, since I am pushing enough power. I am concerned with tone loss. Thanks.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Depends on the quality of the phone jack (and plug). More surface area = a better electrical connection, and a better distribution of current. Banana plugs/jacks are the best, phone plugs/jacks are the worst, and Speakons are somewhere in the middle. There are some additional minor technical issues with "capacitance" on phone plugs/jacks, but that would also be true for the wire, so relatively speaking it's probably a nit. Good quality Speakons are essential if you're going that route, don't waste your money on the cheap Chinese stuff. Thicker wire is better, and that would be especially important on the coax-type cables. Currently I'm using 12 gauge wires for my kilowatt subs, and 14 gauge for the BagEnds (which only handle 200 watts apiece). The high power Monster cable is not bad if you're running ordinary parallel cable, but make sure you get the thicker kind (not the thinner kind that's used for ordinary home stereo speakers). Tone loss probably shouldn't be an issue, any high end you lose through the speaker cables can be gotten back with a little EQ. If you're running long cables, the "mids" are what you have to watch out for (cable inductance). I try to avoid that by keeping the speaker cables as short as possible, and when that's not possible the amp's usually being maxed out anyway. :)