Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Setup Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftseptember, Aug 6, 2003.

1. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So, now I have both my cabs, and I am going to buy new cables tomorrow to set everything up.

Given I have a poweramp/preamp setup, I am assuming these cables will work:

1/4" -> Bananna Plug (for 4x10 -> Poweramp)

1/4" -> Bananna Plug (for 2x10 -> Poweramp)

XLR -> Dual XLR or "Y" cable (Preamp -> Poweamp)

Is that right? The amp will be running in stereo, so I will need my RBI to put out a single to both channels...hence the "Y" cable.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Most poweramps allow you to drive both channels from one input. It's usually switchable on the back of the amp. What kind of poweramp is it? If you've got a manual, what you're looking for is "both channels driven" instead "each channel driven".

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It may also be called "mono input" versus "stereo input".

4. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Can't switch...as far as i know. It's the Crown XLS402, if u wanna check for me? :)

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Mmmm....don't know that one off the top of my head, but I DO know that I ain't yer servant......:D

......but I'll get ya this far.......Crown's Website

6. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Lol...I just didn't understand what to look for. I don't want to bridge the amp, if thats what you meant...

I wanna run one channel to my 2x10, and one to my 4x10...So, I want both channels to be affected by the preamp...so id have to run the output of my RBI to both inputs of my poweramp..No?

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    No, you should be able to drive both channels of the poweramp from 1 input. No Y cord needed. I'm not talking about bridging. Crown has their user manuals available to download at their website. Just find your model. I'd look for ya but it's a 2 meg download and I'm on a dial-up.

Try this link......

www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/133465.pdf

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I checked out the manual and I think that leftseptember is right. It doesn't look like you can "mono input" on this amp. If you want to bridge it you have to make a custom Y cable inverting the polarity of one channel and then connect them both to independent channels. This amp sounds like a pain in the ass. Enjoy. your plan for the standard Y cable should work just fine as long as you don't want to bridge.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A similar question came up recently on the Live Audio Board (www.live-audio.com). Apparently with the XLS amps you can also use wire jumpers to tie together the + and - terminals on the input screw terminals, which puts the inputs in parallel. It's not quite as convenient as having a switch, but it's doable.