1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig shutdown at Gig... any ideas what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, after being very reliable for going on 3 years now (with fairly consistent gigging) my LMII + UL112 x 2 failed me at my gig tonite.

I just brought a single UL112 cab to this gig since there is a huge staircase to contend with and I was feeling lazy. Also I knew I'd just need my rig as a monitor since bass has PA support in this venue.

Anyway, about the 4th song in *silence*. I was DI'd to the PA and could still hear myself thru it so the DI part of my amp still worked. However, my amp/cab never came back to life. I tried switching cables and inputs. Checked for loose connections etc but nothing helped. I ended up playing thru the PA the whole nite and not enjoying it since I could barely hear myself and my band leader was complaining that the bass was too loud.

I dont think I blew the speaker because I got nothing. No speaker distortion, or raspiness etc. It almost seems like a loose connection since it just cut out on me. I dont think it could be thermal shutdown since I was only playing for about 15 minutes before the problem happened. Plus, as far as I know, the amp is supposed to come back online after 5 min of thermal shutdown, but it never did.

Also when I got home I checked my amp with my other cab and it worked fine, then I checked the cab I brought to the gig and it worked fine too.

So basically, I have no idea what the problem was/is.

Any ideas?

Tomorrow I am going to fire up my rig at full volume, play for about an hour and see what happens.

I do need to figure this out asap as I have alot of gigs coming up and I certainly dont want this to happen again.

2. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Could be a component going bad somewhere in the amp. I'd carry a spare amp if I were you.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As many micro amps as you have, I think there's no downside to bringing a backup.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Current number of micro amps that I have = one.

I've tried alot out, but the LMII is the only one I kept. I do have a shuttle max 6.0 coming my way soon though. :cool:

Aside from bringing a spare amp, is there nothing I can do to figure out what the problem is? One idea I am going to try is opening up the cab and seeing if maybe one of the wires is too loose.

5. So, when did the rig start working again? You say at home both the cab and the amp worked fine - did you try them together at home?

I would have been tempted to turn off the amp for a break between songs and see if turning it back on would have "reset" something?

Could be the connection to the cab itself, or the internal wiring to the speaker inside the cab. Or it could be something with the amp. Yeah, I know... not much help. Sorry. Good luck!

Edit: Best thing you can do is try to replicate it at home, and see how/when it happens, and what fixes it. Play the rig at home as much as you can.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bad AC at the venue causing your amp to drop into protection mode?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It started working again when I tried it at home... about 3 hours later.

I couldnt turn the amp off since I was using its DI to the FOH. I guess I could have asked the sound guy for a DI box though. This was a one hour set with other bands to follow so I couldnt monkey with it between sets etc.

I did try my other speaker cable and I did try the other 1/4 input. I will open up the cab tomorrow and look inside. It definitely seems like a connection was not made somewhere. Weird.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Not likely. This venue has 3 or 4 bands a nite and I've heard no complaints about power. Also as I mentioned, it never came back online so I assume that the protection mode never happened. Anyway, the protection mode thing is a possibility... in one way or another.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sounds like one of those freaky things. One thing I might check out is your effects loop. Sometimes they can get corroded inside and do some stuff they shouldn't. I'd give them a shot of contact cleaner and see if that helps. If it doesn't fix the problem, it certainly can't hurt.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I thought of one thing that it could have been. I leaned my cab on a 'guitar stand' so I could aim the driver more at my head. I'm thinking maybe there was some metal on the stand that might have touched either the input jack or jack plate or something. Maybe that caused some sort of electrical short and sent the amp into thermal shutdown.

Is that plausible?

Any other ideas?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Highly doubtful. The worst I've ever gotten with metal touching the jack or plate is a hum. But (cue spooky organ music) ...

STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED!!!!

12. I went through the exact same issue earlier this summer with my Carvin R1000 amp. Half way through a set it just went out . . . thankfully I had my back up (GK microbass amp).

I dropped it off at an electronics shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. To make a long story short, a few tips the guy gave me if it happens again . . .

- pick it up a few inches and drop it (in case something is not connected properly, etc...)
    - plug a patch cable in the effects loop (just a short in and out); he said its pretty common problem, something like the effects loop gets "activated" but theres no signal going through it, so no sound . . .
    - the amp may be getting too hot and needs additional cooling

Those were a few of his suggestions. I apologize if my explanation isn't great.

My amp has been working fine for me for months now without another episode, but I'm sticking to carry around a back up amp just in case (as well as a back up bass). We play too many out of town gigs to get caught with my pants down.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Overheat.. many have a thermal pop off feature?

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

+1

15. It could really be a temperature switch.

They take time to click out.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I keep my LMII in a 2u rack and it has lots of room to breath. I dont think there was anything blocking the fan, but maybe.

So you guys definitely think its the amp and not the cab?

Perhaps since the DI on the amp was still working (light was still on etc) it was a thermal shutdown issue? Assuming the di is designed to still work when the amp goes into thermal shutdown.

Again I was only playing for 15min before it shutdown. I did touch it and the amp did not seem hot.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Great suggestions.

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Does anybody make a plug or cap (rubber/plastic?) to protect unused 1/4" in/outs from being exposed to the elements?

ps: sorry for the derail

19. I wouldn't say so for sure. If it were me I would shake my cab around and probably open it up if the amp seemed to be working later on. It's not unthinkable that something in there could be loose. Also maybe a bad cable? or not plugged in quite all the way? although you would think that would have made noise.
    Other things to think about (that you might not have thought of in the moment) did you accidentally kick your pedal tuner on (if you use one), did the mute switch on the amp somehow get activated (if it has one)? I'm not familiar with your setup or the LM II, so ingest with ample salt.
    The simplest thing tends to be the answer.....
    in any even good luck sorting the problem out.

20. just reread my post and the thread...it couldn't have been anything "inline" like a tuner since your di still providing sound.
    sorry.