1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig + Songlist = Which 4 Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ox Boris, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Four shall be the number of the pedals and the number of the pedals shall be 4.
    Five shalt thou not recommend, nor recommendeth thou three, excepting that thou then proceedeth unto 4.
    Six is right out!

Neckthrough Stingray4.
    Ampeg PF500, PF410, PF115.

Songlist

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Not counting tuner (plus, you have a compressor already on the PF500)...

Some sort of OD
    Envelope follower for the funk stuff
    Maybe a chorus.
    Maybe an EQ, as the tone for the rock stuff may not be right for the pop stuff.

Ox Boris likes this.
  3. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks for that advice. Is the EQ so I don't have to twiddle knobs on the PF500?
    The name or a link to an example of each would be great.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The only thing I see that you're going to definitely want is an overdrive for a number of the tunes in your set list.

There are a couple tracks that you could use a pedal on:

Chorus for "Come As You Are"
    Synth pedal for "Tainted Love"

but both of those are fairly subtle effects and it seems strange to have a pedal on your board for one or two songs. You've got a few funk tunes but none of them (on my quick glance) actually use an envelope filter on the bass on the original recording. You could always add some filter to them, but it isn't a requirement.

If I were putting together a Holy Pedalboard of Antioch for that set list that I might lobbest great sounds toward my audience using pedals 4, no less I would probably go this route:

1. Tuner
    2. Overdrive
    3. Either an EQ or a LPF (like the Iron Ether Xerograph so that you can change tones quickly when going to the reggae/Police tunes)
    4. Preamp (so again you can quickly change tones.

dinoadventures likes this.
  5. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Hehe! Nice.
    Thanks for your advice, Brother Maynard.

6. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, pretty much. On some of the rock stuff, you might (generally speaking) want a scooped sound, but for other stuff, no. The Eq pedal prevents you from having to wast time with the knobs.

Ox Boris likes this.
  7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If that were me, for the songs on that list I know, you don't really need pedal - that the average bar punter would notice anyway. However....

Compressor - to even out and polish the 'poppier' songs like ZZ top and general 80's rock
    Overdrive - to simulate a pushed amp for the more vintage vibe rock
    EQ - to switch to an alternative sound - maybe slight scoop for the pop stuff, or low end pushed for some of the dirty funk
    Chorus for Come As You Are, and Black Velvet

Incidentally, that pretty much sums up my personal core tones ;)

Ox Boris likes this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree you need a chorus. Maybe a Radial Bassbone to be able to switch between a couple different EQ tones. An overdrive for the heavier stuff. For the fourth, if you're counting a tuner as one of your four pedals, that; otherwise I'd say a compressor.

If it were pedals off of my board (which I'm happy with), I'd give you -

Boss CEB-3 bass chorus
    Darkglass B3K overdrive
    Whirlwind OC bass optical compressor
    and the Bassbone, which I don't have - a VT Bass Deluxe plays that role for me, which you could also use, but might be more than you need.

Polytune mini if you need a tuner instead of the compressor.

Ox Boris likes this.
  9. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Octave, Dirt, Envelope, Filter (phaser/chorus/flange). You can cover anything with that list (IMO and IME) and in that order for the board. The only real add on for me would be a single loop pedal to switch them all on or off with a single click. That way you can go from clean to super crazy synth with one step. You could combine the envelope and filter into one with the Strymon Mobius and then the loop/switch pedal would be #4. Hmmm.... Time to play with my own board.

Ox Boris likes this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Your list is Mostly Classic Rock list with some variants thrown in:

Compressor ( when you attack it hard/getting a buzz/hot chix dancing and your/bands adreneline goes up)
    Octave Pedal to mimic an 8-String on a few of those
    Chorus for a few of those and also used with 8-String emulation described above with Octave
    Limiter - at the end of the chain to take out unwanted transients and keep eqilibrium and such

I know having two compressors (The Comp and a Limiter) seems redundant but I posted the reasoning above. I dont see any need for a Distortion as your song list really doesnt have anything that calls for it (unless you were adding a synth sound and using a distortion in conjunction for Tainted Love, but using up a slot or two (out of 4) for a single song doesnt seem reasonable to me)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Ox Boris likes this.
  11. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    For a cover band, I find that having a dirt pedal of some sort in my chain adds a bunch of flexibility. Something that can get classic tube grit can add a really nice flavor to a lot of classic rock tunes (IMO). Something that can get really nasty can work well for synthy type stuff. If you could nail down a pedal that can lean both ways, that would be a big plus. I have two dirt pedals on my board because I can find a single one that does both to my satisfaction right now. However, being in a band myself that covers pretty much everything on your list and more, I definitely find use for the light tube drive (a Darkglass VMT in my case) on a lot of tunes. I use my second dirt (a Darkglass Duality) as more of an effect for spots of songs needing a synth. Just my .02

Ox Boris likes this.
  12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Sounds like your amp rig is already set up for a good base on most of that.

1. EHX The Glove for the treble-y pop punk tunes
    2. Fairfield Barbershop for the "pushed amp" sound
    5. Zoom MS-60b as a catch-all for occasional fx (chorus, synth, envelope, reggae dub) and, most importantly, tuner (EQ, too, if needed)
    3, sir. Keeley Bassist Compressor - probably have plenty of compression with the PF-500 and even the Barbershop, but might be great for those funk tunes

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Ox Boris likes this.
  13. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Cheers, for all the advice so far.
    I'm not including a tuner as one of the pedals.

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Consider the B1ON. I've gigged mine 6 times now and had it a little over a month. It may cover all your bases in one package and at a fraction of the price.

...I just posted about this in two threads back to back and it kinda makes me a feel like a jerk to do that, but i'm just looking forward to using it again at tonight's gig :D

Ox Boris likes this.