1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig too big?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt11, Nov 30, 2006.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    So I've only played decent-sized venues (say 150-200 people) with my current full rig (Eden wt550b +210xst + 210xlt). I am playing a VERY small venue soon, and am wondering if from a purely musical point of view it's a bad idea to bring the full rig. I mean, do I risk being too loud/boomy even if I keep everything turned down? Should I just bring one cab? Should I bring a small combo instead? Playing with a drummer and a guitar and three vocals. Room maxed out at 50 people. Thanks.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It really shouldn't matter if you have 2 8x10 cabs there. Just keep the volume at an appropriate level, and you should be good.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    bring one of your cabs. dial out some bass if necessary. more likely, it could make sense to tun a less middy sound. you don't need to cut through as much. simply dial in a beautiful soudn and don't run it too loud.

no reson to buy any new gear really!

4. Id be tempted to take both, just so you have what your used to, and just turn down the volume a bit.

Ive been to some tiny shows, where the band are shoved in a tiny corner and they can only fit about 20 people in where they can see the band, yet there still been an 810 there !

However, if you do go the route of only using a single 2x10, you should stick it on its side, this will bring a speaker a little closer to ear level, every inch counts, especially when your in a small venue and you can stand 10 ft away from your amp

5. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have played rooms that size with an 810. Just we carefull with your lows, and low mids and you will be fine. As a great bass player once said, "You can always turn down, but you can't always turn up" (Meaning there is nothing wrong with a huge rig)

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Yeah just bring one of your cabs ?
    Saves your back , and im guessing you have pa support.
    And for thoose 150-200 people gig , im pretty sure one cab would do the job to. As long as you have PA support .
    Just get the cab of the ground , or tilt it.
    I always have my cabs in ear height , putting them on racks , tables whatever. That way , a 110 does the job IMO since i always have PA .
    Though i dont know of you play with loud metal-guitarists or something like that.

7. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    +1

And actually, I've used one 210 for about 200 people, no pa. it'll be enough :)

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The only bad thing about big rigs is that they are harder to transport. If you don't mind transporting your full rig to a gig, then do it.

9. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I say take them both.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Make it a full on bass solo performance. Just drown everyone else out and solo to your hearts content!! haha.

I wouldn't worry about it in the least, just bring your rig and mix it to taste.

11. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've basically ALWAYS brought a full kit, and more. Don't usualy need the more, and many times don't need to drive the full kit very loud, but why risk it if you have room in your vehicule. Basically I have a full kit and a spare. So it takes 2 extra trips from the car to the stage, it's better IMO to be over ready than not.

12. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks for all the good (and humorous!) advice. I'll take both cabs, boost 'em up off the floor, dial back the bass and low-mids, and let it rip!

13. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    use both man. At one time i sat in with an acoustic player at a coffee house running a yammaha TRB6P1 into an ampeg preamp going into a 2000 watt crown amp into a fender pro 810 because it was all i had at the time he needed a bass player and we did fine.

P.S. alot of people at the gig looked at me like i was nuts but we sounded great :hyper: :hyper:

John:bassist: :bassist:

14. With the head and one cab you should be fine. "Go Eden"