1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig upgrade - Avatar 2X12 Neo or high-end 1X12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Herman, May 6, 2006.

1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hey guys - looking for some advice on my next purchase. I'm currently running a Peavey Mark VI head into an Avatar B210 Delta + a no-name 1X15. The 15 adds some bottom but it's got zero definition - it's basically a mudslinger. I want to replace the 15 with either a 2X12 or 1X12 and have about $350 to spend.

I like the Avatar 2X10 and think that adding the 2X12 Neo would make a killer rig so my first question: is anyone out there running Avatar 2X10 Delta + 2X12 Neo and if so, what do you think? Enough bottom? Is the low end clean and punchy with little to no mud?

My other thought was to find a more high-end, used 1X12 in my price range - something like the Aggie GS112 or Schroeder Mini12 - along those lines. Anyone think this would be a better choice to give me enough good clean low end when added to the Avatar 2X10?

Thanks for any and all advice to help with my decision.

2. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Anyone?

3. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Moves a lot of air, sounds great. Get it.

4. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks - anyone else?

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've monitored the buzz on TB regarding Avatar cabs for quite awhile now. The plurality of opinion is that the Avatar Delta 1x12 & 2x12 cabs are generally superior to the Neo 1x12 & 2x12 cabs - in most ways, except for a modest difference in weight. The Delta 12s handle more power, are reportedly punchier, and reproduce more lows.

The Neo 10s that Dave uses are specially built to go extra deep, so they outperform the Delta 10s in frequency response, and can function just fine in 2x10 & 4x10 cabs intended for standalone purposes. Not so much with his Neo 12s. FYI...

Do a little searching here, and see for yourself...

MM

6. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks, I didn't realize that the Delta 12s were considered better than the Neo 12s - that's good to know and I'll follow up with some searches.