Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Upgrade, Cab Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Oct 26, 2003.

1. I'm currently using a Peavey Combo115 soon to be with a 210TVX extension cabinet, both are the latest editions.

The rig is great for practices, just loud enough to overcome our guitarist's Bandit112 w/112 Cab, Drummer and PA system but I have a lot of trouble at gigs, I always have to PA the Combo and use the 115 as a monitor for the rest of the band.

What I really want to do is buy a PV1500 (I can get one for £330 (around $500), damn cheap here in London), plug the preamp out of the Combo115 into it and then run 2 4ohm Cabs into it.
    But I really don't know what cabs to use. I want to stick with Peaveys, simply because the price of anything else over here is far too high, and Peavey are reliable quality.

The PV1500 runs at 500watts per side at 4ohms. If I want to run it at full volume, I need cabs that can run Continuous at 450+watts, right? No peavey cabs can do that unless I get the Pro series. I don't have enough money to buy 4 8ohm cabs, and I fear I'd loose the headroom if I did.

What do you all recommend?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    There is nothing wrong with this strategy at all. I'd say that the guitar player needs to turn down, and *perhaps* you need a bigger PA. If you don't have them, investigate using subs in your PA.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    250W ratings for the cabs should do fine. It's OK to have 2x speaker rating for power for the extra headroom.
    Just don't clip the amp and be sure you listen to the speakers and turn down if they start sounding stressed.

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you want to stick with Peavey gear and you have big friends and a big car, consider their 412. I've heard great things about them and tried a few out. I was very impressed. I had a 810TX at the ime and prefered the 412s I tried. They are slightly bigger than a 410 and WAY heavy.

Just buy two at 4 ohms. It'll be plenty loud.

Good Luck

5. I own a pair of 210TX cabs run with a Behringer 1500 power amp (£250 new) and an SWR Grand-Prix Pre amp. I use this lot purely as a rehearsal rig (I gig with some other SWR gear). These cabs sound massive paired together. I honestly would not hesitate in buying a pair of these for gigging. Massive amounts of power. I play 5 string active basses and play pretty much all styles of playing. The cabs handle it all in their stride. Personally I would sell the 115 combo and buy yourself a good pre-amp to go with the power amp and cabs. The 210tx cab is a far more effecient sounding cab than the 115. A pair of 210tx cabs would be FAR louder than a single 210tx and the 115..
    It would make for a very versatile and powerfull settup. The cabs are very light and easy to move around. (NOT like my 6x10 flightcased SWR cab)...

Hope this helps

Dave

6. I used a Marshall 412 at a gig not long ago and I was absolutely amazed. The bass response was not only earth shaking, but the high end was incredible - exactly what I want for slap/pop.
    I've heard little about the Peavey 412, they seem pretty rare round here, but I know they can handle massive amounts of power.
    I just checked up on the prices, and for the first time, Peavey are not the cheapest. In fact the 4x12 is about £200 more than the Marshall - some extensive testing is in order.

The Peavey 412 is around 140lbs, my 115 is only(!) 100lbs and it's difficult to move with 2 people. What I don't get is that last night at a gig, I picked up a 1960A Marshall 412 and Head on my own and moved it quite a distance without any strain, but I can't so much as raise one side off of the floor with the Bass 412.

At the moment, money isn't a big problem (ie. I don't need to sell up to buy new cabs) because I will save up my wages for however long it takes - I really want to keep the 115 and 210 as stage monitors.