Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrMusic45, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DrMusic45

DrMusic45

Nov 27, 2002
    Missouri
    Currently I have an Ampeg B2-R (350 watts @ 4 ohms) with a Yorkville 4x10 (8 ohm, 500 watts) and a yorkville 1x15 (8 ohm, 300 watts). I'm sort of confused as to how I should go about upgrading my rig to get a little more power. What do you guys suggest? I'm open to brand name/model suggestions, but mainly I need to figure out which part of my rig I should upgrade. My cabinets seem kinda powerful already, were it not for the 8 ohms of resistance on both. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

2. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    try the yorkville xs800, ive got the xs400 and it is perfect for me..i've got the same 4x10 as you running at 4 ohms.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd suggest getting a power amp and a pre amp.

Either QSC plx series poweramp or a stewart power amp, with either a sansamp rbi or a bbebmax pre amp which ever floats your boat.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    pre/power is a good idea, but even a head that puts out 600-800 watts at 4 ohms would give you a boost

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    DrMusic45,

The part you should upgrade is the head.

If you wanna keep the Ampeg B Series tone, you might try a B-4R head. Your cab combination will handle it very well. Otherwise, as stated before, maybe consider a preamp and a power amp.

Cheers,
    JL

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Options depend on how much you have to spend.

Give us a clue.