1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig weight!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bill_banwell, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Have you ever sold your cab or amp or entire rig because of its weight? or do you stick with it because of its great tone over its portability? Discuss?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I felt I compromised my tone for many years trying to find a small (and hence lightweight) cab that could do a relatively large, loud gig... I went through Acme, EA, Eden, SWR, 210's, etc., etc. All great cabs, but none could really move enough air for the gigs I typically do.

Since the high quality Neo speakers came out (starting with the wonderful B&C's that Epifani used until recently, and now the new Eminence models), I've been able to get back to large cabinets (an Epifani410UL and Schroeder 21012Light) that are both very light (under 60 pounds) and wonderful sounding, and plenty loud for any gig IMO. I actually prefer the sound of these two cabs to any that I've played... regular 'heavy cabs' or other Neo cabs.... so I'm a happy camper.

That both of these cabs are very efficient, resulting in being able to drive the heck out of them with a lightweight amp is an added bonus:hyper:

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I borrowed a friends Aguilar GS410, tried it & really liked its sound. Even said I wanted to buy it from him. When I just had it parked at the rehearsal locale, it was great!

But, once I had to start moving it.... UGH. Then, consider I drive a small car... UGH.

4. Not right now no, but im lucky enough to be big enough to lug my gear about

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Had a Fender 18" folded horn cab that was made for the 400 PS; that thing had to go!!

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have accepted than no cab will meet all criteria: cost, weight, size, projection, power, etc. Every cab compromises on something. As I grow older and having lugged bass amps for 35 years, I am actively embracing new technology and discovering that today's compromises satisfies 98 percent of my needs. That means that yes, I continue to downsize yet maintain volume (when needed) in a highly portable rig. I now have a 16lb head in a laptop bag and a 28 lb cab. 450 watts of power.

The compromise I am now willing to live without is deep bottomy bass and moving a ton of air. However, the gigs I do, do not need that. We have a PA if I ever need it. Our guitarist has followed suit: Soldano head and 2 Marshall cabs to an old Fender 40 watt tube head.

Togther, the band is as loud as ever with way less gear to move.

I would love to use SVT's. In the drop of a hat. I mean that. The only caveat is that someone else is moving it. Until then, small is beautiful.

7. I sold my QSC MX-3000a (Godzilla) because of its weight. It turned in right at 69 pounds on my beam balance scale.

By the time I got it into a plywood rack (too heavy for plastic), the weight was awful.

I built another wood rack to hold (3) PLX power amps, and find this ol' man is having trouble with this. I have to put the amps into individual racks, I guess. Or hire amp bitches.

My son-in-law's Ampeg B4R lives in an SKB plastic rack, and that is about as much weight as I can to handle, per piece. His weighs less than the SKB rating.

8. I just ordered a YBA200 because I'm think my rack is far too heavy... maybe the tubes too! But my SWR 8x10 got condensed into a 2x10 and 1x15. Now I can move all my gear by myself in my small four door sedan. The 50 pound Traynor versus the 100 lb rack will be amazing, and hopefully sound terrific.

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Yes, although my definition of "heavy" may well be a lot lighter than what other folks are using. I've decided I don't want to move cabs weighing more than 50lbs and that a 45-50lb rack was "too heavy" for me as well. Both of those limits would be light to other folks with other criteria.

I've now moved to a very lightweight head (Yamaha BBT-500H - 11.5 lbs?, 500W @ 2 Ohms (250 @ 4)) with 1-3 1x12 cabinets (2 are ~40 lbs, one is 45 lbs). This basic setup handles all my rehearsal needs including my "loud" band (full drum kit, too loud electric guitars). For gigs I'll take a Carvin DCM-1000 power amp (25lbs) and drive the cabs with it for more headroom.

I also have a rock'n'roller cart so I don't have to carry the pieces any long distance. This saves wear&tear on my hands and arms and makes the load-in/out much nicer (and quicker).

This approach may not work for everyone (I suspect my "loud" group might be a "medium" or "quiet" group for some - although I feel the need for earplugs with it) but I'm happy with it.

I am looking at how I can put some more efficient speakers with the setup. I've bought some plans from Bill Fitzmaurice and may get motivated enough to try building a couple of Omni 10s to replace the Avatars. With those I might not need the power amp for gigs.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I change my mind about this once per month. I have an aggie 680/728 combo that I hate to move. All in an 8 space rack. VERY HEAVY. I've tried lighter stuff, but keep going back...

I keep finding out that the only way I can get my tone is with the big power amps.

11. i had a mesa boogie powerhouse 6x10 that i loved soo much but just couldnt travel with it. I just could fit it nicely and easily in my civic and could pin it on my band to always take it for me. the weight was a big issue since i have stairs into my house. i wish i still had it but i just couldnt justify with my car and moving it by myself. maybe if i had a practice amp to leave at my house so i could leave the 6x10 at my practice space, but that wasnt the case. now i have a mesa powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 that i love but its not the 6x10.

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Yes. Although, as a couple of others have posted, my idea of lightweight is a lot lighter than most. I was using an Eden DC112XLT combo plus a D112XLT cab. On paper, that's not too heavy, as they're advertised as 49 pounds and 38 pounds respectively. However, the combo actually weighed 62 pounds, and the cab weighed 45.

Now I have two EA Wizzy cabs at around 30 pounds each, plus an Acoustic Image Clarus SL head at 2.5 pounds, plus a Sansamp BDDI for some color if I want it. I'm probably going to pick up an iAmp 500 head soon, at 13 pounds, because I like its sound better with bass guitar than the Clarus (I double on upright, and the Clarus works great for that).

Weight's important to me. Not as important as tone, but very important. And I get truly great tone out of the Wizzy cabs, by the way. And 350 watts into 2 Wizzys with the Clarus SL is *very* loud. The iAmp is even louder. Louder than I need.

Liam

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IMHO,

these days, there's no need to compromise tone for portability. my experience w/ epifani, ea, and schroeder cabs show that there can be a best of both worlds... my wallet? that's another story. :p

then again, i still hold onto my Acme B4 4x10 (79 lbs.), just cause i can. sounds like a sonic battering ram, who's weight i can tolerate.

14. I've been using 2 EA CXL112 and an NL210 (mix and match the 3 cabs) with an iAMP800 for a little while. I just sold the 2 CXL112s and bought a Berg NV610. Tomorrow I'm picking up my new Aguilar DB750.... so I guess I'm going the other way. :confused:

I'm keeping the iAMP and 210 for smaller gigs and rehearsal. Not only does it sound amazing, but I love the features of the iAMP like the built-in tuner, the CD input and earphones out for practicing in silence.

So instead of carrying a couple of 40+ lbs cab and a 20lbs amp, I'll be going lugging around a 98lbs cab and 45lbs head!!! Is something wrong with me?:help:

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Got rid of my JBL SR-4738's.

They were about 115 lbs. each and I usually had to move them both myself.

Much happier loading in/out the Bose PAS!

16. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    It's all part of the game, isnt' it? Some guitarist wants to whine about his 4x12.....and then he grabs my 13 ply birch 2x15....... yes, guitar boy, that's why my wheels actually have a weight rating on them.. here, that hernia probably hurts, let me get that for ya.
    I have a somewhat modded old Peavey cab (with an EV driver and a port change or two) I got from a buddy that is ridonkulously loud for a decently light cabinet, and it has damn good wheels on it...but if the gig's outdoors, I'm fighting with my 215..... it just booms. Power that with a Bryston 4B, and apparently I start to look a little masochistic on the heavy gear front........ but it works the beer offa ya!

17. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    My ampeg BXT 410 is way too heavy too lift, it takes two people and its still a back breaker :meh: , the caster wheels on it are breaking and are loose because its seen so much pavement.. Cant wait to get a Epifani 410 that i can lift on my own..

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I tried to sell my SWR Goliath III 4x10 because of its weight, but found no takers, so I've decided to keep it for those rare times I need a larger cabinet. I dig the tone, and I ended up needing it for a couple of shows last summer, so that's fine.

But I've easily gotten by lately with a rig I consider light: G-K Neo 112 cab (40 lbs.) and 700RB-II head (about 17 lbs.). It's amazingly powerful for a compact rig IMO. For some rehearsals I go even smaller, and use my Roland Cube 100.

19. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    85lbs Sunn 300T and a huge and heavy matching 2x15 so nope it's all about tone :)
    I can move it all by myself and people always ask me if I need help but I have to carry it up steep narrow stairs so I'm used to it by now.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I am over 50 work out mountain bike and can carry an SWR G3 in my arms. That said I love going to gigs with just my bass. EA is my downsize. 1 or 2 CXL112s and an iamp800 in the bag. Easy carry in. I too use the rackandroller for the big stuff. That's one or two G3s and one Bass 750. Had the giant stuff in the early 70s. Sunn 2000s on an Ampeg V4B cab with a Marshall Major on an Ampeg SVT cab and a Leslie 147 ( the tall wooden one). Heavy and sounded it.
    I did get rid of an SVT head for it's weight. I was not working out and it felt like I would do internal damage when I picked it up. It's a dwarf star.