1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig without a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My Sansamp RBI preamp started malfunctioning last night. So I ran my G&L L-2000 bass (w/9v active p-ups) straight into my dBx compressor then into my QSC poweramp. Will this harm anything? It sounded fine. I guess I could do tone shaping from the knobs on the bass?

2. Won't hurt anything but might be short of oomph to drive the compressor up to gig level loud.

mbelue likes this.
  3. Probably got away with it better than most would due to the hot output of the G & L.

EricssonB and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

mbelue likes this.
  5. I plug headphones directly into the output of my ASAT, which has the same electronics.

6. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks guys! I guess I'll start poking around for a new preamp. Any recommendations ??

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If it sounded fine and you have active EQ right in the bass why bother? What you have in that bass is called a preamp for a reason BTW ;) .

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not the most up-to-date site, but still lots of good clips and info: basstasters.com || welcome

Demeter VTBP-201s would be my pick if I were not happy with my discontinued ART tube channel.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you like the RBI maybe send it back to Tech21 to have them get it back in shape?

Jim Carr, Downunderwonder and DWBass like this.
  10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The compressor is probably feeding the same level of gain to the poweramp with or without the preamp before it, so in effect you already do have something providing the step up in gain necessary. But as for active eq, if it works, it works. But I'd rather have the option of a few bands of EQ on the rack and not need it than have to rely solely on my onboard preamp. Not to mention you wouldn't have a DI (unless you have something else in the chain).

11. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh! So it won't hurt anything by running it like this... Just be limited to my bass's eq, correct?

It's just that the tone difference between having the Sansamp running and not running was very slight

10cc likes this.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

This right here.

13. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    My guess is that they'd charge for shipping and do the repair free of charge. Tech21 is pretty good about standing behind their products.

14. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    To be honest with regards to sending the preamp back for repair: 1. The rbi unit is probably close to 15 years old now. Been on a few tours. And 2. I wouldn't mind a change.

I'm wondering if just getting a parametric eq would be viable? I like the tone of my bass's onboard preamp. Maybe just some extra eq for controlling the speakers? Any thoughts?

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Wow, at 15 years old it surely doesn't owe you anything. Changing pre's wouldn't be a bad thing either! Parametric is a good idea, IMO, given that you like the sound of your bass' onboard pre.

16. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, I can't be mad that I got 15+ Years from a $250 preamp!

johnpbass likes this.