Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psychobiker, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Guys,

Just finished my 2x10" & 1x15" cab building fandango.
    15" cab measures 26" cube (6.5cu ft)
    10" cab measures 17x25x26" (4cu ft)
    All are loaded with eminence speakers.
    I'm running the whole lot (and an Ampeg 210HE) from a Peavey FireBass 700.
    When I can get a digital camera, i'll post pics.

2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    congratulations! I know it feels awesome to build it yourself...I just got done building the same type cabs. While saving some $$ is obvious, knowing you have a cab (or cabs) that are unique is cool too.
    post pics soon so we can check them out :cool:

when do they get their first "road test"?
  3. Yesterday.....Whoa! 'T'would knock you!
    What cabs have you?
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I just finished a few weeks ago with 2 cabs. One is a 1x15 and the other a 2x10. Both have Madison speakers, which sound good--not Eminence, but solid and do what their advertised to do.
    I wanted some other cabs I could run with my Avatar 4x10 for different sounds. So far, I think the best sound I'm getting is running the 2x10 with the 4x10---seems like it pushes the most air and it makes the rest of the band complain about too much bass, so it must be ok...:D

now I'm itching to build a 1x12.
  5. It will seem like it's louder - when I run my 2x10 with my Ampeg 210, it is pushing nearly three times the air of them 15....common law of physics:-
    One 15" speaker pushes 15" of air....
    Four 10" speakers push 40" of air.....
    But, 15's have that OOMPH of low end :)
    Nothing will ever beat the rig I borrow'd of a friend (who is teaming up with me to cover a concert) who lent me FOUR Cerwin Vega 18"s! I couldn't breathe!

Send pics!

6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Psychobiker quote:
    ouch...who carried that...that makes the insides hurt.

i've posted this pic in another thread...but since you asked...named after my son(like any good small cab company should;) )
  7. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX

4-10" speakers push less than two times the air of a single 15"..............

Area of a circle = Pi (3.14159) x the radius of the circle squared................

10" speaker.....radius = 5", so 25 x 3.14159 =
    78.54 square inches....times 4 = 314.16

15" speaker......radius = 7.5", so 56.25 x 3.14159 =
    176.71 square inches..............

A lot of the difference your hearing is probably the higher efficiency of the 2x10 cabs.
  8. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002

DAMN! That is a nice looking cabinet!
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    :) Yep, four 10s is roughly equivalent to one 18". (on paper it would be the same as one 20" driver, but with losses from the surrounds it works out less).
  10. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    agree completely...15 is mud...definately prefer 10s.

thanks...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...:p