1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rigging up a Stingray/Jazz board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mirrorful, Mar 13, 2018.

1. mirrorful

mirrorful Supporting Member

May 11, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    There has got to be an answer somewhere on TalkBass for this particular issue but hell if I can find it, so Im opening a new thread. I'm looking for some collective wisdom/opinion here.

I'm currently using a Stingray 4/HS and I just picked up a new Am Pro Jazz and would ideally like to set up my board to switch between them seamlessly. My signal chain is:

Stingray/TU-2/(future undecided comp)/DG Vintage MT/Bluebeard Fuzz/Acoustic 370

I'm running into the 2nd -6dB input on my Acoustic 370 and I'd prefer not to have to switch inputs. My thinking is it's easier to boost the passive Jazz up to the output level of the 'Ray than to dial the active back down to passive level. I'm looking at preamp pedals like the Tone Hammer so I could get a little of that Jazz on Steroids sound and I'd have the advantage of getting an extra outboard preamp similar to my onboard in the 'Ray. The other option is to get a pedal like the Barge Concepts GLZ to lower the output and impedance on the 'Ray to match the Jazz and plugging into input #1, but that seems like muzzling a snarling pitbull to me.

I'm definitely leaning towards option 1, but I'm happy to hear best practices and constructive criticism.

2. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Just get a clean boost? Like a Keeley Katana mini would do it and be tiny.