Right at this moment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigdaddybass12, Aug 5, 2022.

1. More invested in amps/cabs than basses

29 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. More invested in basses than amps/cabs

202 vote(s)
    87.4%
  1. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Right at this moment, do you have more invested in basses or amps. Me? amps/cabs. I have been GASSING for another bass, but can't find anything I like,,,,I just bought another practice amp, Rumble 100,

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Kyle G1973, DrThumpenstein and JRA like this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I wouldn't call any of them "investments" but I've spent far more on basses than on amps/cabs. Right now I only have three sets of cabs and four amps, but have about 2 dozen basses. :D

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

axes. :bassist: i could care less (not true! :D ) about amps and cabs.

even in the years when i owned but one or two basses i think the instruments generally represented more "investment" than any rig i had at that same time.

4. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    no friends, no bands = no amps

just headphones and a bunch of basses

villegastx, NCBaker, CallMeAl and 4 others like this.
  5. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    One big(gish) rig, one small one. Sum total £2,150. That's about a quarter of the value of my basses.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Definitely basses. Just my one Fodera Emperor costs more then all my bass amp gear put together! (2) Rumble 210 cabs, Rumble 112 cab, Rumble 100, Rumble 500, Rumble 800HD Head, GK Fusion 800, Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0.

pjbassist and DrThumpenstein like this.
  7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This is almost exactly my situation.

TrevorG likes this.
  8. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I've got a lot of both. I stopped buying basses for a while and switched to pursuing amps and cabs. Now I'm back around to buying basses. It never ends.

9. Jefus

Jefus Does this amp make my bass sound fat? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento
    One head with two cabs, so I either take 1 or both depending on the volume needed.

My next bass will cost more than that whole rig, and that doesn't take into account the rest of my stable.

Maybe it's just me, but amps are utilities, whereas instruments are muses.

10. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Basses, definitely.... I play with an Ampless rig that basically covers all my needs.

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    About even for me.

MaxSpinrun and pjbassist like this.
  12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    It's actually really close for me; having done some rough calculation, there's less than $200 in it. But basses shade amps in this one.

13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    I have way more invested in Amps than Basses by a 3 to one margin. IMO most solid body basses assuming a certain level quality, will produce a good enough bass signal to work with assuming your sound reproduction gear is above the line.

Granted, onboard preamps on active basses can mitigate some sound reproduction issues with rigs with “baked in sound”. That said, I’d much rather prefer better soundscaping on my amp/rig than on the bass in case i may want or need to buy another bass. Having to make that purchase based on it matching my rig would be a nonstarter here

In general, I do not get gas.

14. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Not even close for me. I have a Mesa WD 800 with Subway 112 and 115 cabs, which gives me a lot of flexibility and I can pump out enormous volume, more than I will ever need from a practical standpoint. Add in my small pedal board, all cabling, and it was still in the neighborhood of $3000. That’s a few hundred less than I paid for my used Fodera, plus I have several other far less expensive ($300-1000) basses that, all in, would be more than double what that Mesa rig cost.

They all sound better through that Mesa rig than they ever did through anything else, so in a sense, even though Mesa is a little higher priced compared to competitors, as far as bang for the buck goes, it can’t be beat!

RustfeatherBass and SLO Surfer like this.
  15. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    Definitely more $ tied up in basses than amps/cabs. I’ve always had just one rig and several axes. But I’ve never thought about any of that and just acquired the gear I want and need to create and operate.

4 high(ish) end basses, vs 2 cabs with 1 amp head

16. Ggaa

Ggaa Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    About the same $. 2 basses, 2 heads, 2 cabs, 1 practice amp.

17. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Less than a grand in amps, if you don’t count PA gear. Three basses , but one of them is an upright. Maybe 3K?

18. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I probably have more INVESTED in amps however my basses are WORTH more.

Jonny Reese and bigdaddybass12 like this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I'm always more interested in basses than amps, just like I'm more interested in the music than the bass, and more interested in the whole piece than the bass part.

Basses and amps are tools. Bass parts are just parts. The song's the thing.:thumbsup:

20. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I don't have space for more than one amp rig.

BassBlue likes this.