Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

right hand 2 finger players, which finger to you lead with?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Which finger do you guys start with, pointer or index?
    I start with pointer, but it seems more natural doing index when I'm moving down the neck. I have to focus not to get off.

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I almost always lead with my middle finger, and then alternate between index and middle. I don't think I've ever had an instructor comment on which finger to lead with; as I'm guessing it's totally and completely irrelavent.

3. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    When going down from a higher to lower string, middle. When I go up from lower to higher strings on the neck, index.

4. When I started playing bass 4 years ago my instructor always got on my back for leading with my middle finger. He toldd me that using my index was proper technique. I never did listen to him on that matter. Now I just use whatever feels natural for the song that I'm playing.
    George

5. For some reason it feels more natural for me to play with my middle finger. So thats what I usually lead with, although not all the time. I also do not always alternate. Sometimes(in slow songs) it is easier to just play with one.

:rolleyes:

6. Good point Keith.
    Sometimes alternating fingers isn't required at all. I seldom use 2 fingers while playing a ballad or waltz. I sometimes fall asleep palying these songs but finger technique on slow songs can be just as iportant as it is on fast songs.
    George

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Index.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I usually start on index, but practising to start with either finger is a good way of improving your plucking dexterity.

9. Index. I'm getting better at alternating with my middle.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I play considerably more with my middle (index) finger.

If it's a slow line, I'll only play with my index finger, rather than slowing down, and using both fingers. I think it works out nicely, for me, it helps me remember rhythms better.

If there's going to be a rest, I'll just use my index finger, like if it's 1/4th note 1/4th note, then the rest of the measure being 1/8th notes, I'll play the 1/4th notes with my index finger, and just start using both for the rest... I don't know if that really makes sense, but it helps me remember things better. :)

11. i like leading with my index finger

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I forgot...I usually start with my ring finger when I use three fingers.

13. Isn't a pointer finger and index finger the same fiinger? :confused:

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Either finger for me - whatever works.

15. Uncle_Breezybum

Uncle_Breezybum

Dec 18, 2001
    I'm ambidextrous- left handed writing, right playing, can't use left handed scissors- which makes everything a whole lot more confusing. I tend to lead with index on the first and middle on the second, unless I... no, I've confused myself now...

Before I started playing bass I thought you used one finger for each string! It makes sense though...

16. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    When first learning, I suggest to my students to try the index finger first, as that seems to be natural for anyone when they consciously try to emphasize something,i.e. begining a riff or pumping groove, BUT the lead with the middle finger give one better string crossing which will lead to faster arpeggios.

So,IMHO, try in use index first, but then seek to gain an ability to use the middle leading to improve the string crossings.

17. i always start with my middle, it seems like it's the strongest of the two. after that i just alternate.

18. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Index finger for me but I'm weird. When I play really fast my index finger takes over sometimes. Like I use only one finger. Its a bad habit I wish I could break!!!! :mad: sometimes its just not practical to do that. I have a lot of bad habits with my right hand but so far so good with my playing....