Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right hand accuracy and speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by leffe luffer, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Hello everyone, heres my problem.

I´m usually a pick player but recently I have been learning some two hand tapping an in order to incorporate it with my usual playing I want to develop my fingerpicking skills.

When I play with my fingers I get a much more percussive sound than when playing with a pick. Also I seem to play much more sloppier and I loose a significant amount of speed agains playing with a pick.

When I play I anchor my right thumb on the string or pickup above the string I want to hit, can this be slowing me down?

Please post some pointers on what I might need to change and practise on, also post things you think I might be doing wrong. Also it would be great if you had some links to webpages about fingerpicking speed and accuracy exercices and theory.

Thanks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    • use a light touch, you don't need strength
    • minimize excess movement, just drag your fingertip over the string, while keeping the tip "loose", not rigid.
    • don't dig in too deeply. Let just the tip brush over the string. You can "play the pickup", which means plucking over the pickup, the pickup cover will keep your fingers from digging in too deep.
      You can also put a wodden "ramp" on your bass, check www.garywillis.com

Hope that gets you started.