1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right hand and wrist problems. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dsrbass, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    My first post, I'm bummed it has to be such a sad one. :meh:
    So I was on another one of those streaks again. One of those streaks where you feel like you're unstoppable; that you can tackle any song that is in your way. I was so happy and that gave me
    the drive to practice 7 or 8 hours a day. Then I woke up one morning about a week ago, and my right hand felt really weird. I picked up the bass, and instantly knew something was wrong. The groove and the feel were gone. It seemed so awkward to play, when before it felt so natural. My hand tensed up and sometimes gave on me when I went for a fast run or passage( I was working on some Zappa songs to improve my chops, and the ones I had nailed previously, I couldn't even come close to locking in). Now I dont want to pick up the bass at all, in fear of what I'll hear. I can barely pull off steady straight eight notes:(. I have been in bass "slumps" before. But this is different. A whole week later, nothing is getting better. My chops, feel and groove sound like I've been playing for two weeks. My right hand and wrist are the same while my left hand is completely fine. How did this happen? How can i fix it? Is it all in my head?!? :help:

2. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    My wrist also feels kind of tingly, and my hand feels weaker and harder for me to make a fist.

3. Man that sucks. This may sound obvious but go see a doctor. You've definitely got issues that aren't psychological. 7 or 8 hours a day? Holy crap.

4. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    Well I enjoy playing bass, and I'm just a teenager, so I have nothing better to do :)

5. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    But I am very serious player and bass is the world to me.

6. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    You may have tendonitis, I used to get it in my fretting hand years ago practicing scales on the guitar 4-6 hours a day. You should have it checked out by a doctor.

7. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    Will do. Thanks for the replies guys.

8. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    You should start looking at your technique. Specifically your technique relating to excess tension in your hands, joints, eyebrows, fingers, toes, arms, I mean everything. There should be almost no tension which isn't being used for doing something and then only just enough as required is what your goal should be. You are pushing yourself too fast and your body is trying to tell you. Also pay attention to whether you are actually breathing in any semblance of normal. My guess is you are probably not. So slow down, take actual timed strict rest breaks, and constantly remember to breathe, especially when you are figuring something out. Oh and look up the superman complex too, being sixteen and having these issues it's a good time to familiarize yourself with this concept. All the best.

9. What he said. Yo. Are you curling your wrist? Do you practice seated or standing? How low is your bass slung?

10. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    Hahaha... well I'm far from superman, that's for sure. I get ridiculed by my friends for being the "wimpy" one; never going outside and just 'shedding all day. I play standing, because that's how I perform. And I wear my bass extremely high on me. (I'm not a punk rocker. I play finger-style funk, ala Rocco Prestia)

11. When you play with your bass that high do you have to curl your right wrist?

12. Oblique

Oblique

May 21, 2012
    STOP PLAYING RIGHT NOW!
    Sorry to shout but tingling and loss of strength is a NERVE problem - metacarpal.
    If you continue to inflame the nerve you risk long term damage, rest is all you can do right now.
    The above advise about technique is valid - find a good teacher - but not until you see a doctor.
    Good Luck!

13. Yep. You could be experiencing carpal tunnel.

14. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    No, not that high. But high enough that it looks nerdy on me.:)

15. dsrbass

dsrbass

Jul 26, 2012
    I work hard to have a good, clean technique. I play very lightly for a good tone and to get away with low action. I think I might have just over worked my hand.

16. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    Here is a test for you. Well, when you get better try this..anyway. Get to playing, do a run, scales, whatever, and then stop and look at where your hands are, tension, and whether they are nice and close or flying up. Also you may want to push your right shoulder forward just a bit, which will make the wrist angle a bit more neutral.

17. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Here is my advice FWIW :

1. Stop playing for at least a few days, to give the wrist time to recover. You say you are serious about the bass, so if you dont heed nature's warning, you may cause yourself permanent injury. Where will your bass playing be then ? I dont wish to be a scare monger, but this is important IMO.

2. Try lowering the height at which you wear the bass, to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height. This will help to keep the wrist straight.

3. If you must play for very long periods, then take regular breaks (about fifteen minutes) every hour or so. Make sure your technique is up to par, and that you warm up (.. and cool down after..) with gentle stretches before you practice.

4. If after a week or so, you are still experiencing the symptoms you describe, seek medical advice.

18. mozilla314

mozilla314

Dec 19, 2011
    That's your problem right there. I developed
    chronic pain in my wrist a few years ago and found out that, because I wore my bass too
    high, it was causing my plucking wrist to bend
    into an "L-shape". I lowered my strap, focused on keeping my wrist straight and the pain went
    away after a few weeks. If you have to practice
    seated then it's best to put the bass in between
    your legs ala classical guitarists. Get a wrist
    support from the drugstore and wear it while
    playing for a while. My 2 cents......

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you do have swollen tendons they can take an age to recover. I would follow the advice you've been given - stop playing and go see a doctor.