Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Hand Chordal Technique

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by Bernie Connors, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Todd,

Without giving away too much info which I'm sure can be gained from your DVD's, how would you define your right hand techique when chording?

I know that Scott uses a "claw" type approach utilizing all 5 fingers on the picking hand. Do employ a similar technique?

Thanks,

-Bernie

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Bernie,

Actually I haven't covered any of my "chordal" things in my DVD's. (I'm focusing on the fundamentals that most players "really" need to learn first) .....but.....even if I had, I'd be more than happy to share it with everyone here.

Anyway.....

To answer your question; I play with my thumb (obviously for the bass notes of a chord) ....and then primarily with the index, middle and ring fingers. I "RARELY" ever play more than that..........as a harmonic instrument, the bass get VERY thick, VERY fast.

I hope that helps.....if not, let me know and I'll expand on my answer!

3. Thanks, Todd. I believe that sums it up. :)

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Cool,.....happy to help. I love it when I get the answers right! :hyper: ;) :D

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Can you explain how you mute your lower strings and use this technique?

I love to play through the chords when I'm working on a new jazz tune (I have Mike Dimin to thank for that). I love it even more now that I have my new 6 string. Ringing strings were never an issue on my 4 string. I have to be a little more careful on a 6.

Anyhow, I manage to mute the low B and E with the heel of my right hand. What do you do?

Joe

6. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Joe,

Essentially that's it!!..... :hyper:

When playing with the thumb, the "heel" of the hand becomes your mute.

Not very complicated........pretty logical really.

Well done.....