1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right Hand Exercises?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BenJanning, Aug 2, 2012.

1. There are plenty of exercises for left hand, but are there any for right? To build up speed and dexterity etc. while using the correct technique.:bassist:

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I used to do paradiddles and other drummer things with my two plucking fingers on my right hand. I had a book on this 20-30 years ago.

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Man don't sweat it looking for exercises. Juts find the right songs and work them up. If you want some good exercises check out the song Colibri by Ingcognito. Play the song Let's Dance by Tom Browne. Learn amd master the disco song Let the Dance Begin by Hamilton Bohannon. Check out James Jamerson. The song Dance, Dance, Dance by chic. It may sound corny but there are a lot of funk and R&B songs out there that will give your right hand the exercise it needs. What is Hip by Tower of Power. Check out Rocco Prestia. Also check out Doug Johns' Pocket Full of Nasty and his other stuff. Exercises by themselves are just that. But if you get songs that give your right hand a work out ou're exrecising and learning techniques. If you want a list of songs PM me and I'll work up a list for you. Kansis City Milkman by Level. Fashion Fever by Level 42. The Chinese Way by level 42.

4. Yeah I know what you mean man. I'll have a look at those songs. Thanks! :)

And sure if you feel like it, send me a list with good right hand technique songs, I wouldn't mind learning some new ones anyway. :bassist:;);)

5. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    Hysteria for endurance? :bag:

6. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Oct 2, 2010
    Northern Utah
    I think more along the lines of tkozal (or what he thought 20-30 years ago). You could really get some good advice from drummers. Finger picking turns somewhat percussive after you get going so fast.

I like go grab my metronome and set it to a comfortable pace. I usually try to start at 180 bpm. not too fast, not too slow.

You could get warmed up alternating from middle finger (2) to index finger (1). Go for about a minute, slow down or speed up about 4 bpm or so.

It's good to get your ring finger (3) in there too. I like to play 3-1-3-1, 2-1-2-1, 3-2-3-2.

Once you get that third finger working, I like to play 3-2-1 repeating in 4/4, accenting the 1st beat of the measure. 3-2-1-3, 2-1-3-2, 1-3-2-1.

Work with a metronome. That's the most important piece of advice I could give as far as speed is concerned.

Once you can play those few things with that 3rd finger. I'm sure you could make up some other combinations. Try to lead with fingers other than you normally would, that will help with your finger independence.

Hope any of this helps.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Will do! Give me a day or so.

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Even though my metal days are way behind me (I'm a 37 year old dreadlocked Hippie) I highly recommend Alex Websters "Extreme Metal Bass" book. It takes solid technique to play 16th notes at 170bpm wether it is Jaco or Cannibal Corpse. On one level it may seem a little simplistic but it is a good starting point there are some good things in there too on practical uses of Harmonic Minor, Hungarian Minor, Symetrical Diminished and Whole Tone Scales, Polyrhythms and Polymeters, 2 Handed Tapping and Sweep Picking. Once you have the technique what you do with it is up to you.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

9. jimmy_trouser

jimmy_trouser

Oct 19, 2011
    That's how I started to practice and before too long I became very competent at playing within a 4/4 with all three fingers in a i-m-r combination, each time starting with a new finger. It really opened my playing up and allowed me to play faster more complicated runs with more ease. It feels really weird to start with but boy does it pay off! Now to get my theory up to a half decent level!!