Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Hand Ex's

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by codeine, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hey guys i was wondering if i could get some help on building up speed and stamina in my right hand.

I am not looking for scales as playing along one string at at time is fine. I need some help with string skipping.

Anyone have some good ex's

Thanks

Simon

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmmm...masturbate.....constantly. :D :meh:

sorry....j/k

I find that when you start slow you can in the end go faster. Its like your hand or wrist can already move as fast as you want it to, but it might not be able to move that fast while doing a certain thing, so all you got to do is train it to do that thing slowly, so that you can ingrain it in your muscle memory, then speeding up won't be a chore.

3. Ok maybe i need to rephrase a little.

I am looking for ex's that isolate string skipping-i will play them slow like always-kind of like what gary willis has on his site for RH technique but not 3 finger stuff just ex's (patterns) i can work through.

4. alternating octave phrases are good-

eg. the chorus part to "right on time" by RHCP = two sixteenth notes for each octave.

G------------------9-9----------------------11-11
    D-----11-11-------------------9-9---------------
    A--------------7-7---------------------9-9-------
    E-9-9-------------------7-7----------------------

also try substituting an eighth note for the lower note, then the higher note.

try a similar pattern using the root and tenth eg.
    G-----6-6-
    D---------
    A---------
    E-5-5-----
    etc.

also "everybody dance" (intro/bass solo) and "dance, dance, dance" by Chic for similar ideas.

5. Thanks man that was more what i was after although i already use right on time octaves as an ex.

In the time since i posted i have come up with an ex that is a combination of a few others so i will try and demonstrate for others benefit and to see what people think of it.

Play open A with index finger as an 8th note mute with index finger, play open G with middle as 16th note mute with middle, play open G with index muting with index. Start again but use middle finger on open A etc.

Thanks for those songs man i will have to check them out.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Learn "River People" by Jaco
    its a GREAT string skipping work out.

7. oops, just spotted a mistake in the root-tenth example I posted-corrected now.
    another exercise is to play ascending/descending scales on the E string including tenths on the G= string-skipping plus scale practice too;)

another Chic song to try- "my feet keep dancing" (there seems to be a link between string-skipping octaves and "dance" in Chic songs);
    a tricky octave D skipping bit.

that method seems tricky- muting the A with the index finger and then switching it over to get the 2nd 16th note on the G.
    I'd prefer to mute using my thumb- how do most people do this?
    also controlling the note length of a 16th by muting with same finger you plucked with seems tricky- I prefer pluck with index, mute with middle, pluck with middle, mute with index.
    or also adding the ring finger if I'm using 3 fingers.

8. One In Three

One In Three

Feb 28, 2003
    Northern NJ
    just thought of a little tune that helped me out in the area of jumping from string to string - by Rage Against the Machine. It's supposed to be played pretty fast, which is what gave me problems at first.

G|-----------------|-------------0-|-----------------|-----------------|
    D|---2-0---0-------|---2-0---0-2---|---2-0---0-------|---2-0---0-------|
    A|-------2---2-0---|-------2-------|-------2---2-0---|-------2---2-----|
    E|-0-------------3-|-0-------------|-0-------------3-|-0-----------3-2-|

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You should probably also include the fact that it's the song "Bombtrack" off of their first album. Due to the fact that not all of us can spot that tab and tell what song it is. But I am a very talented human being. :cool:

10. One In Three

One In Three

Feb 28, 2003
    Northern NJ
    okay - it's "Bomtrack" off of RATM's s/t album.
    :D

11. Matt is tab god

Never had much trouble with bombtrack, though i know a guitarist who struggles with it.

Man those Chic songs have awesome basslines. Looks like i am going to have to learn them by ear though cos i couldnt find them as tab or transcription...my ears dont work very well.

12. it's also worth trying the exercises with a pick instead, to show up any deficiencies in your left hand, that your right hand covers for when you're playing fingerstyle.

13. I have started to try to learn 'what is hip' by tower of power.

Not only is it an awesome song but it is one hell of a right hand workout.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are you still talking about masturbation there? :D