Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Hand finger pains

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DiG, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Lately I've had bad pains on my picking hand, first 3 fingers, not pinky or thumb, I play fingerstyle and slap, rarely use a pick. It not like calluss pains, it feels like I almost sprained something...

any advice?
    should I see a doctor?

thanks

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Are you doing anything differently? Playing more frequently? Playing harder or longer? How old are you and how long have been playing?

3. im 15, been playing about 2-3 years, i have been playing a bit more frequently, and the new song im doing im playing a fast steady beat which i dont usually do

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I started playing at around the same age you did..I hit some pretty major growth spurts around those and just about everything was sore at one time or another...BUT...I would say your soreness is bieng caused by the fast and steady song you are doing. Fast/steady is a challenging combination and takes time to build-up to...people don't run a marathon their first time out, they BUILD up to it...if the pain is that severe slow down and take some time to recover, If you think you can work through the pain then go for it(if you are considering seing a doctor though, you may want to slow down), but you better make sure your technique is correct and sound or you could be risking long term problems....

5. ive decided to try to not play for a day or two and see if my fingers feel better after that, cause i hadnt had a day i didnt play for 2+ hours in a while

6. Aettis

Aettis

Mar 16, 2005
    The pain you may be experiencing can be carpel tunnel syndrome or tendonitis...your fingers hurt or wrist pains around the actual joint itself? Do your fingers hurt in the knuckle areas? Do you stretch?

-Aettis

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ice, stretching, and taking breaks all help, as well.

Do you practice with an amp?

8. the pain is in the knuckle closest to my finger tips, no wrist pains

i practice with an amp more often than not, but i also frequently practice without an amp.

im going to try stretching before playing now, after a 2 day break the pains have currently subsisded, going to see what i can do to make sure they dont return

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    does it hurt when you apply pressure to the knuckle? (squeeze it slightly?) have you noticed yout knuckle "click" at all when you're not playing? Is there any pain at the bass of the finger in your palm?

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Your wrist position could be the problem. The pain isn't always where the problem is at. Take it from a 20 year veteran, if you're playing fast and steady 16th notes ;), you should keep your wrist relatively straight and resist the tendency to rest your forearm on your bass.

11. nope to all three, it seems to be getting a bit better, i think it may have been from overplaying

12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Amen! I used to have right hand cramps like DiG describes when I'd play fast material sitting down with my forearm resting on the bass. Just making a concious attempt to keep my forearm free from the bass kept those pains from recurring, so I'd take a look at your technique first. Also, neck dive can be nasty on your wrists if you're having to balance the bass and play it at the same time.

13. i think i might be resting my forearm on my bass (i know i do when sitting)... ill have to make sure im not doing that

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ANother thing is always use an amp of some kind, even a cheapy practise amp, when you play.

I noticed that when I can't hear myself, I tend to play harder... and then I cramp up very quickly. If I use an amp, I can keep my fingering light and it reduces the amount of tension in my hands... it also lets me play faster...

15. Aettis

Aettis

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm trying to remember...I had the exact same thing you are going through, pain in the end finger joints, for me it eventually went away, but I think I was resting more between playing...I think I eventually toughened up those knuckles. REMO- Definitetly not trigger finger, I have that in my middle finger fretting hand, it sucks!!. Stretching should be and everyday thing, I would like to say every couple hours give your wrist/forearms/fingers a good 15 minute stretch routine.

-Aettis