Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right hand finger position?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by .357, Jan 24, 2005.

1. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    Since starting bass recently, I've mainly been playing with a pick but want to learn fingerstyle too. One thing that's not clear to me: when striking the strings with your first and second fingers, how do you position the third and fourth fingers? Curled under against the palm, against the face of the bass as a sort of support, just dangling in the breeze, or?

Thanks.

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I use the finger plucking techique exclusively. When I pluck the strings with my 1st and 2nd finger, the 3rd automatically curls up against the palm. the little finger follows the 3rd finger. I also use the 1st and 3rd finger plucking techique, which I find more reliable.

3. I have 3rd and 4th kinda stretched out, but Id say whatever feels comfortable. The idea is that fingers on both hands should be relaxed, otherwise not only you will get tired, but you will also play slower and in the end might even injure yourself.

4. What Mindwarp said... don't worry about what your fingers look like, let them do whatever they want to do naturally and with the least amount of tension. Every little bit of tension works itself into your playing and can definitely shorten your jamming time.

5. If you're not going to use your 3rd and 4th fingers (which is cool, most people don't), then you really need to find what's comfortable. It's probably not going to be much different to using a pick. Mind you, somethings are uncomfortable when you first try them and you just have to persevere. I'll often get my 3rd and 4th in use when i just want a slightly snappier sound from a specific note, (because they are a little closer to the bridge) or use the outside of my palm and side of my fourth finger to mute notes.

There's also the whole, using three fingers to play triplets and sometimes pumping eighth's with one finger, (You'll find you get a different sound from that). But really, the world is your oyster. Sit down and listen to what comes out... Any new style is an adventure, don't get frustrated. Rock On! :bassist:

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I rest my thumb on a pickup and my 3rd and 4th are out, my pinkie kind of looks like how royalty holds teacups now that I think of it...

I use those 2 free fingers to mute strings when I get a little too into it and just start getting sloppy :)