Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right hand fingering...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by AHHA, Jan 22, 2001.

1. AHHA

AHHA

Oct 16, 2000

Hi Mike,

My question is, is it a serious problem that I had better correct now or regret in the future, that with my right hand I start my fingering with my middle finger first and not my first finger. I am self taught and after 10 years have recentley started the journey into theory and music instruction. I lead both up and down ,across the strings with the middle finger.

Thnx, JB

PS; I hope to soon be able to read and finally but all those magazine articles from you to use.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If it works for you, enables you to accomplish what you need and doesn't hold you back from advancing, I would say lead with the middle finger. I would be a bit careful, though about just who you "give" that middle finger too :).

3. ok, well enough fooling around in the other posts.

I have tried finger playing but i just can't get the volume i am used to when playing with a pick. And it is very uneven sounding, eg sometimes its soft, others it pounds. How can i even that out and also get volume??

Merls

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    As for volume, I always rely on amplification - after all, that's its job. The ability to get soft and loud sounds with the fingers is the beauty of it. Learning to control it comes with practice. Also by placing the fingers on different places (i.e. closer to the bridge or over the neck) you can alter the tone of the bass quickly and easily. Playing with alternating fingers can also be quicker.

Start with a really light touch and let the amplifier do the work. Remember that when playing live we tend to really "dig in", probably due to the addrenaline pumping through our bodies. Fight the instinct to dig in - keep a soft touch. hen you can accomplish this than start adding dynamics to the right hand

Mike

5. Cheers. I guess its hard because when i rehearse in my room, i alternate and because i use a pick the majority of the time i tend not to adjust the settings for when i play without. I guess its a discipline thing, if i want to play with fingers then i turn the amp up.

Merls

6. Ok, next technique question if you don't mind:

I have practiced like buggery on the fingering and have evened out the bumps in the sound. My next thing is positioning.

I have a 5 string Washburn, and i find that i can pick the E string properly if i rest my thumb on the B string rather than the pickup. When i go to play the A string, i then move my thumb down to the E and vice versa.

Is this a bad habit to get into?? Should i try and play/stretch whilst keeping my thumb say planted on the B string?

Cheers,

Merls

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Any way that works for you. I tend to let my thumb hang free. Some people anchor it on the top string others move with the fingers. I think, more than anything it is a comfort thing

MIke

8. Ahh thats ok, its just i found that if i changed it, my fingers would slip and crash into the one above or below. And likewise is it crucial to use the last two fingers or is it ok to pick with the first two?

Merls