Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Hand Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by swapmeet, Jul 18, 2001.

1. swapmeet

swapmeet

Jul 18, 2001
    Bothell, WA
    I am a beginning bass player (just started about 2 weeks ago). I was wounder how you strike or pick the strings with your right hand? Do you have to finish your pick with your finger stoping on the next string? Any info on how to finger pick would be great.

Thanks

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, I hope I can describe this accurately.

Standard method is the two-finger 'walking' method (index and middle finger).
    Use them alternately so that it looks like your hand 'walks' on those two fingers.
    A common 'mistake' most beginners make is bending the fingers at the joint at the middle of the fingers, like pulling a trigger at a gun. This usually slows you down because the fingers tend to form a 'hook' that gets stuck under the string.
    It's better to move the fingers as a whole, at the joint that connects the fingers to the palm. Keep the fingers loose, especially the tips. Now just drag the very tip of the fingers over the strings. The motion stops when the fingers hit the next string.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask.

Oh, and welcome to Talkbass :)

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The kind of stroke JMX described is called a "rest stroke". You can also play using "free strokes", during which the fingers strike ONLY the string they are playing. The technique for this is similar to that of rest strokes, but the hand should not be at an angle for free strokes - the fingers should be very straight and DIRECTLY over the string they're going to be striking.

Each type of stroke has its own particular sound, and it is useful to be able to do both.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Chris is right, the rest stroke is the main technique IMO though, the free stroke is more used for chording, flageolets etc. when you play several strings for a bassline and want them to ring out.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I don't think there's a "main technique" other than whatever technique gets the sound you're after.

6. swapmeet

swapmeet

Jul 18, 2001
    Bothell, WA
    Thanks for the help guys, that really helps to get me on the right track.

Swap.