Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right-hand fitness for ska-punk, HELP!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by andruca, May 9, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi guys!

Well I successfully auditioned last saturday for (spanish) SKA-P's Pipi (singer) new project and although I didn't find it technically challenging I noticed some lack of resistance on my right hand when practicing the songs yesterday (some are fingerstyle and in some I sue a pick -which I rarely do, except for punk tunes-). I ended up with my right hand aching (muscular, no rwist or hand injury -so far-). I'm no newbie but ska-punk is something I never did on a regular basis so I never faced this kind of problem. Could any of you recomend me some gradual excercising to achieve such resistance? I'll start today with some 2 hour (1 fingerstyle + 1 with a pick) program for increasing strength but I don't want to hurt my hand or wrist so does anybody know of concrete excercises for my right hand to get more fit?

Thanks so much!!!!

ANDRUCA

2. Vanman

Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    hi,
    I'd recommend doing scales with a metronome. Start with a speed that is very comfortable and play16th notes. Start on the g on the E string and play either 1.) one position all the way up to the c on the G string and back down or 2.) up 2 octaves to the g on the G string (12th fret) and back down. Then modulate up a half step (A flat) and repeat. Continue until you are beginning the scale at the high g on the E string and then chromatically hit each key back down.
    First play 4 16ths to the note.. go up the neck and back down... hit every key... Then play 2 16ths per note.. modulate up a half step, repeat until you've gone all the way up the neck to high G and back... THEN play 1 note per 16th... same thing... up and down the neck.
    After you've done that turn your metronome to the next higher setting and repeat. Do it until you've gotten to the speed that is too fast to play accurately and go back to a speed that is comfortable. There is no reason to keep playing past your ability. Concentrate on tempos that you can execute accurately. In a couple of days the faster tempos will come more easily and the more comfortable tempos will have more authority. I guarantee if you try theses exercises your right hand will get into great shape and your timing will improve also
    hope that helps
    cheers

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much Vanman! Really helpful! I'm starting today. Thanks again!

ANDRUCA

4. Vanman

Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    hi, How did those exercises work? For ska, I think the "2 16ths to the note" are the key.. so to speak
    cheers, Van