Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right-hand fretless techniques

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was just curious if there were any useful right (plucking) hand techniques that are particularly suited towards fretless playing, for example, the way slap lends itself towards fretted basses.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The fun thing is to come up with your own stuff. Try this; play up by the bridge and move the hand towards the neck in small intervals. Play at each point. Remember the sweet spots. Also try playing softly and increase the pressure. Remember the sweet spots. Now combine the two.

You should be able to play 'here' for this sound and play 'there' for another.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Using your palm to mute the strings while plucking with your thumb lends itself better to fretless than fretted IMO. I know the technique has a real name, I just don't know what it's called.