Right hand muting and note duration.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Jan 4, 2003.

1. OK, I've been listening a bit to Rocco and been trying to cop his feel. I can't, which is no suprise, but I'm working on it.

The only way I can get that sound is to use my right hand fingers to stop the string ringing, leaving the left hand out of the muting picture - it just frets the notes as in legato playing. I stop the ringing string with the finger other than the one I just plucked it with, and when it comes time to play the next note the playing finger is right there on the string - unless the next note is on a different string, in which case things get messy.

How does everybody else deal with this? Am I missing something about the way the two fingers are supposed to work? Pluck and mute with the same finger?

The other thing I was thinking about was the ways you can use this technique to mix things up rythmically. It's a whole new feel, and the space in between notes - even when they're sixteenth notes - changes the sound of the groove hugely. I'd really like to learn how to use this as a tool in my playing, but I'm having trouble working out the technical details. For a while I considered using the third finger to do the muting, which leaves index and middle free to alternate as per usual, but that didn't feel as natural.

I'm gonna be working on this one over the weekend with a drum machine, trying to get everything nice and even in terms of note duration and attack with each finger. If someone could help me avoid re-inventing the wheel, I'd appreciate it.
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    hm. if i understood your description right, you may be interested in the approach of gary willis.

take a look at the lessons @ www.garywillis.com
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Work on that left hand muting. It's capable of more work than you're giving it right now.
  4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Take your left hand and place 2nd and 3rd fingers on the E about the 1/4-1/2 fret mark.Dont try to fret it just a little pressure. Play the open E. Thats the sound . now fret the F and do the same with your 2nd and 3rd. Go back and forth untill the timbre is the same.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. I do some muting with my right hand(open strings, mostly) but for the Rocco style, my left hand does 90% of the muting.
  6. I don't see how using the left hand works - how do you mute notes fretted with the pinky? - but I'll give it a try. Maybe fretting with mainly 1 + 3 and using shifts to get around might work.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You fret a note, pluck it, and then lift your fretting finger up just enough to mute the note. It sounds complicated, but with practice it comes naturally.
  8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Theres a rocco video Its really well done if you really want to get his thing down you may want to check that out.

I learned to do it from playing blues and soul
    and a whole lotta ballads

9. Oh, THAT kind of muting. Well, I understand that principle, but the note never sounds cut off cleanly enough when I do it that way at speed. It's nothing like as crisp as using the right hand.

I see value in this right hand technique, so I'm gonna work on both. Thanks.

I had a look at that Willis stuff too - interesting.