Right hand pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AndreasK, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AndreasK

AndreasK

Jun 11, 2014
    Northern Norway
    I´ve been working relatively hard on a song lately, and I´ve felt some mild pain on top of my right hand. Had a long reahersal last night and the pain got pretty bad. Almost to the point of not being able to play. (Played among other things, Led Zepps, Rock and Roll, just over my comfort speed, several times) Today my hand is somewhat swollen, and extention of fingers hurt. No numbness in fingers, which i read is common for Carpel tunnel. Anyone have experience with the same issues? Anything other than resting to get better? Any tecniques while playing or exersises to do?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    It sounds like you simply over did it with the playing. I'd advise that you stop playing for a couple of days and rest the hand. If after that, the pain is still there...seek medical advice. Never play through pain.

Some things to consider when you are OK to start playing again would be :

Always warm up.. and down.. when playing/practicing. Check You Tube for.."hand stretches for bass/guitar".

Try to play with a light touch..i.e.. dont dig in too much. Let the amp do the work.

Take regular breaks (about ten to fifteen minutes) during rehearsals/practice. Do the stretches when you stop and again before you restart.

If you rest your thumb on the pick up, try a different technique that does not involve this. The "Floating Thumb" (see clip below) is a good and safe technique.

Check out another clip below that deals with safe right hand (I assume you are right handed and pluck with the right) technique.

Hope this helps and hope you are back playing ASAP. :)

AndreasK likes this.
  3. AndreasK

AndreasK

Jun 11, 2014
    Northern Norway
    Thanks a lot! It's been getting better through the day actually, but I was a bit worried there for a while I'm shure it'll be okay in a few days. Lots of good tips in the videos. Will look into stretching and floating thumb techniques. I think my hand position is all ready pretty good. And I'll work on my speed, so I can be more relaxed playing fast

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021