right hand paradiddle slap help needed.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by flapbass, Sep 4, 2009.

1. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    please offer any insight you may have, i am already practicing it over and over, but i am having trouble slapping an octave in this pattern right hand:t=thumb i=index finger: tittitti tittitti played in 4/4 its paradiddleparadiddle paradiddleparadiddle doing it alone is no problem but in the context of titti tt ttt titti tt ttt titti tt ttt tittitti tittitti is super hard. when my right hand is anchored properly, like when i am doing tittitti tittitti by itself its golden but in context it just feels off balance.

2. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    dude... please clarify what the hell you are asking. i hope that doesnt sound too mean. i finally got the "tittitti" thing, but the "paradiddle" business still eludes me.

aside from that... is there another question in there? if youre practicing it a lot, and it feels awkward, well, youre doing the right thing: practicing a lot.

i taught myself to slap, and started popping with my middle finger, as it was stronger. i now use both as needed. maybe try that...?

again, please translate some of your post. im a little lost, but would love to help, as i loves me some funky slappin, and all kinds of interesting patterns.

thanks.

3. chondro776

chondro776

Mar 6, 2008
    Paradiddles are drum exercises (correct me when I am wrong somebody...).

Smack the drum w/:
    Right
    Left
    Right
    Right
    Left
    Right
    Left
    Left.

This isn't the pattern I am seeing written...but I am guessing it is something similar...He just means to apply the pattern w/ your hand.

To the OP- I am no victor miller, but I hear ya on the 'off balance' feel. I have no specific advice, just rock it until it feels natural.

All practice should be awkward, right? I mean you are practicing the stuff you can't do...

4. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    pa(t) ra(i) did(t)dle(t) pa(i) ra(t) did(t) dle(i) pa(t) ra(i) did(t)dle(t) pa(i) ra(t) did(t) dle(i) played at the seventh fret e on the a string, and the 9th fret e on the g string.

5. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    No, as the post above you indicated, paradiddle is LRLL, RLRR- so it should be TITT, ITII. And to practice that, I double pluck for the II, using my index and middle finger to pluck the octave.

So thats thumb-pluck-thumb-thumb, pluck-thumb-pluck-pluck (last two using index and middle to pluck).

Ok, I now sound like a crazy person!

6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    okay, sorry if i sounded disrespectful. i had no clue what diddlin' was or whatever.

+1000 on learning to pop with your index and middle (and ring). you can also rock some popped triplets or popped double or triple stops. its so worth the effort.

i can definitely see how trying to hit two pops in quick succession with just the one finger would be tricky.

7. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    no disrespect detected my man, its totally cool to ask for clarification, i mean isn't that kinda what i'm here for too? but its actually thumb-pluck-thumb-thumb, pluck-thumb-thumb-pluck (repeat) and i am a pick player, so its difficult. man i never should have stopped playing with my fingers. now i have to learn it all over.

8. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio

Wait. Why do you keep changing the pattern? A paradiddle is always RLRR-LRLL. If you are using a different pattern, you can't call it a paradiddle. There may be a rudiment that matches your pattern.

Are you trying to do a paradiddle or just the pattern you described?

9. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    +1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudiment#Diddle_rudiments

Diddles are two consecutive hits with the same hand.

that pluck-thumb-thumb-pluck you're describing is more like a padiddlera!

Think of it another way- paradiddles are symmetric, after two beats, both sides have played four times each. Your pattern ends up uneven, 5 thumbs to 3 plucks.

It's not a paradiddle.

10. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    hehe... thanks. heck, i learned what a paradiddle is, so i got something too. plus, its a pretty cool word.

another thought came to mind: you can practice slapping anywhere. i "slap" patterns on my desk in class. i "slap" on the stick shift in my car. i "slap" on all kinds of things that are not my bass when im somewhere else.

maybe im a little adhd or something, but thats another little tip that i like. it probably annoys my classmates, but it helps get funky patterns into my brain, even if its not the same shape as a bass, and you arent getting that bounce off of your strings.

okay, happy slapping, and may you annoy those around you for years to come! just say your a bassist. everyone knows how cool we all are.

11. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    paradiddle paradiddle paradiddle paradiddle is just the drum beat i am playing to, not the intention of my striking pattern. maybe i will post a link to the song i am learning at some point. in fact: http://thenecronauts.com/media/09 Objectified (Funk Song).mp3 i play bass for this band and for the life of me i can not get this song down. what i have done so far, since i am a pick style player, is i tune my G string to match the E on the 7th fret of my a string and then play the pattern between the open string and the 12th fret.

12. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    ???

13. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    um... me no scared.

14. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    padiddlera!

15. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    Well that's good, 'cause I don't think anyone's trying to scare you!

I mean, you did post here to get advice, right? Your question contained a glaring error, and folks are trying to correct it. You then contradict yourself by saying you where talking about a drum beat, not a striking pattern, but that's not what you said in the beginning.

You want to know how to improve your technique? Practice with a metronome. 100 times at a slow setting, then 100 times at each increment until you're up to speed. Don't retune your bass!

And try practicing a real paradiddle, it helps with accuracy and double plucks. Also practicing slapping intervals up and down a scale pattern. Do unisions too, slapping and plucking on the same string will allow you to create intricate rhythms and not be tethered by having to only slap octaves, fifths, and whatnot.

16. flapbass

flapbass

Sep 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021