Right Hand Pizz help needed

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by BluesBass, Jul 5, 2004.

1. BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    I've been practicing on the DB for about 4 weeks now, I have an instuctor who has been helping me alot with my technique.
    My question is with my right hand Pulling/plucking alternating between my index and middle finger how do I lessen the noise when I land on the E string when pulling from the A string. My instructor says it will get better with practice but I'm not sure if I might be able to position my right hand/fingers better to help my technique.
    I hold my fingers at a slight angle to the strings when pulling accross them before resting on the next string. (I'm NOT holding my fingers like I would on Bass Guitar) . I checked the Newbie links and found very little on right hand Pizz Technique.
    Thanks for your help,
  2. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
  3. BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    I just watched a couple oh Ron C. videos, awesome stuff. I'm pulling across the strings like he is I just need to know how to stop from hitting the E string so hard after the A.
    Thanks for the help, anyone else out there have any advise?
  4. I'm don't think the noise of the finger striking the next string is very noticable in front of the bass. I used to worry about the same thing but I think the only person in a position to actually hear much of the sound is the player. The bass's projected sound should take care of that. Have you recorded yourself and listened to how it sounds from in front of the bass? I would try that before I began altering my technique (provided that technique is sound).
  5. BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    Thanks Steve,
    When I practice tomorrow I will record myself and listen to how it sounds from in front of the DB. Tonight during practice I found that if after I pull the A string I let my finger hit the fingerboard and the E string at about the same time there is less energy hitting the E String. I hope this isn't a bad habit of improper technique that I'm learning that will have to be unlearned.
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    When I studied with Harvie S. he had me work a lot on plucking with index and middle fingers joined kind of forming a C shape. Resting the thumb on the side of the fingerboard, you basically use the weight of your arm to turn the hand and pluck the string. This is great because you get more meat on the string (more mass because of two fingers together even though it is just the side of the index hitting it), also using the natural weight of your arm he instructed me to keep the arm relaxed even when walking doubletime. He used to to stand behind me while I played and he'd try to shove my arm away with just his finger. If I was relaxed and doing it right my arm would come off the bass, if I was tense, he would have a hard time moving the arm. It is a technique I still use a lot as it gets a big sound, but I do alter it, as when soloing I like to pick perpendicular to the strings on fast passages. Also to get more skips on the string below I'll use index and middle fingers independently in the traditional style. It was a little weird getting used to this at first but now it feels really natural and I must say my right arm is much more relaxed and therefore I can play longer with a fuller sound.
  7. jeez his strings are so dirty, it looks practicall black!!

8. They are. Carter uses (or at least was using) Labella 7710s--wrapped in a black coating.
  9. Another case of Tizzle yankin' yer chain Stevie (maybe)
  10. BluesBass

Apr 14, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    Thanks again for your help. My original instructor is taking some time off from teaching so I have a different teacher to go to today. Maybe she will have some more help for me on my Pizz technique. She plays for the local Symphony so I should also get some good ARCO help. I haven't practiced with the bow yet but I'm eager to learn the right way.

Thanks again,
  11. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I almost feel like I have the opposite problem. When plucking the G, D & A strings I like the feeling of having an adjacent string to rest on or kind of stop the plucking fingers' motion. If it makes a little noise it doesn't bother me at all. When I'm playing the E string it kind of feels like I'm in no-man's land. For me, the E is the toughest string to play all around.
  12. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I just switched to a 5 string EUB from a 4 string BG. I went to a 5 for exactly the reason you say. On the BG, getting consistent tone between A and E strings was a problem as my 'rest stroke' on the E string had nothing to rest on. I don't think I've played a single note on the B string yet, but I do like the feel of pulling through the E string and resting on the B.

IMHO, muting the B string seems a lot easier on EUB using one finger technique, than on the BG, as it is very natural to let the arch between thumb and forefinger mute the lower strings as you start to reach for notes on the G string.