Right hand plucking tips/instruction request!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Gregc57, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Hi. I'm a long-time guitar player looking to move into electric bass. I play right-handed, but am a left-handed person. I find right hand, 2-finger plucking to a quite a chore. I could drum away using my left fingers, but I'm not going to turn-around into a lefty bass player. My left hand works nicely for fretting, very much so.
    Any tips, or educational links, etc., for training the right hand would be very much appreciated. I am rolling solo on this project currently. I don't want to play bass with a pick, and I think finger picking, as one would pick a finger style guitar is not the best way to roll (feel free to tell me if I am incorrect). Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm bastardizing everything. Best to get on a plan and work it correctly, IMO.
    Thanks in advance!
    Greg

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Which way do you play guitar -- left-handed or right-handed?

3. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Right-handed. I play musical instruments (guitar / drums) in the traditional way; right handed. Everything else I do left-handed.
    Thanks!
    Greg

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    So, you need either a teacher or some online lessons to learn how to play bass fingerstyle. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations. For now I'll just say that although learning how to play fingerstyle is a worthwhile goal, you shouldn't hesitate to play with a pick if you're already comfortable doing so.

Gregc57 likes this.
  5. 12BitSlab and Gregc57 like this.
  6. Papageno

Papageno

Nov 16, 2015
    France
    I am also a leftie playing right-handed. Somehow, the alternate plucking is not an issue me (maybe my practice of classical guitar long ago as a teenager helped for this).

I would simply suggest to practice slowly to build up your chops progressively.

12BitSlab and Gregc57 like this.
  7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    I had few experiences with students that were left handed and decided to learn the bass in the traditional way. Few were starting from zero and a couple, had some years of playing as lefty and decided to change because not too much lefty bass available.
    The second scenario is the challenging one, it's similar to when we learned a bass line with a wrong fingering or rhythm and than after played for a while and memorized we need to relearn, it take more energy and patience than starting from zero.
    Those two ingredients and the correct exercise for crossing technique are everything you need.
    I suggest you to work on permutation exercise also called horizontal crossing, below my explanation on a old thread, then move to vertical crossing (free video on my YouTube). If you do all the steps gradually you will be ready to play as full right handed in no time ;).
    Let me know if you need more help.
    Let's groove!

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    When I was a kid there was a thing called "phone books" and there was a famous ad campaign for the Yellow Pages: "Let your fingers do the walking."

yellow pages.jpg

Think of your two plucking fingers as "legs" and your fingertips as "feet." The plucking motion should be relaxed, like you are casually strolling in no particular hurry.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021