Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right hand position

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Sep 14, 2003.

1. back by the bridge all the time

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. back by the bridge most of the time

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. over the neck pickup all the time

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. over the neck pickup most of the time

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  5. both equally

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Hey. I was curious where the most popular place is to play on the bass for fingerstyle: back near the bridge, or over the neck pickup.

2. What about between the two pickups on a two pickup bass?

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I can't specify one in particular... I try find what I think is the best spot for the part I'm playing.
    Same with the amount I 'dig in', whether I play rest strokes heaviliy theourgh the strings or a lighter pluck, or with my thumb, or finger nails, or... the list goes on...

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm with HK...it depends on what I'm playing and how I want to sound. It also depends if I'm playing my 4 or 6 string. I compensate for my tone much more with my technique and location than adjusting the preamp settings.

5. when I practice, I usually put my right hand way back next to the bridge, because I like the way it sounds better, but when I'm playing in a band setting, I often end up playing over the neck pickup about half the time, because it sounds fatter and warmer.

98% of the time, I don't touch the tone controls on my bass or amp. I leave my amp flat, and usually role the bass and treble knobs all the way off on my bass.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually play over the neck pickup, but when im in Drop D, and the tension is looser, i play by the bridge pickup.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Since mine is an SR5 (no neck PU) I play infront of the bridge PU

8. I range from the 20th fret to the bridge, but 50% of the time I'm about 2 inches (5 cm for JMX) in front of the front pickup. It's about the same for guitar. The only time my hand is really anchored is on dobro and steel guitar.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I tend to anchor my thumb on the neck pickup most of the time, so picking happens somewhere between the pickups (favouring the neck pickup I think). I move around a bit though to get different sounds, towards the neck or even onto the fingerboard for mellower and towards the bridge for more bite, as the music calls for it.

10. FretNoMore: I'm the same way, that's how come i found the choices kind of limiting. I guess I can put down "both evenly" but it varies depending on what I'm playing and what bass I'm playing, but usually I try to get between the two for an even sound.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i first started, i would always play by the Bridge pickup. Whenever i tried playing on the neck pickup,i found the less-er tension there to be weird. It was probably not for several months until i switched to playing over the neck pickup. My endurance got longer (that sounds very un grammar good :-/) because it was easier to play there, and the strings are slightly closer together. Now when i play by the bridge, i dont really like the sound of the "bite".

12. OK, I admit the choices are a little limiting, but I guess it was either that or have a pole with like 50 different choices. Some people for instance might only play over the bridge pickup and in between the neck and the bridge, while other may only play over the neck itself and over the neck pickup. I do realize that many people play all over the bass, but I just decided to pick the two most common places. By "over the neck pickup" I'm refering to anywhere where your thumb is anchored to or in close proximity with the neck pickup, (or neck pickup area if your bass doesn't have a neck pickup).

13. I'm usually either back near the bridge, or up over the fretboard at around the 17th or 18th fret position. If you want to achieve a wide-tonal-spectrum, it's wise to not limit yourself to any one position.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Generally between the neck pickup and the base of the neck but I move around a fair amount as required. Probably at least 75% of what I'm playing at the moment works in that region, but its good to be aware of the full range available to you (eg. if you always play in one place, deliberately practise in some other spots and reflect on the differences).

Wulf

15. I'm with this technique.

16. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    where i play pretty much depends on the sound i want if i want a sharp 'guitarish' sound ill play either by the brigde using the lower pickup as rest or just the other strings. the fatter sound i want the more i move towards the neck, kyuss for instance, i play resting on the buttom on the neck.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a flexible approach, but I find that I play over the bridge pickup 80% of the time.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice.

It depends on what tone I need, and to a lesser extent, what bass I am playing.

When I play a Jazz bass, I spend a lot of time closer to the bridge pickup, but not as close as a lot of people.

When I play a fretless, I spend most of my time plucking over the 24th 'fret'. To get that bloomy, mwaahh tone. I go back near the bridge only if I need that punchy Jaco 16th note sound.

On my 12 string, I use a pick, back near the bridge about 80% of the time.

On my Cirrus, I am all over the place. It is more responsive to tonal changes from changing your plucking position than any bass I have ever played.

19. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    from the bridge all the way up the frets, i'm not consistent, rather let the flow drag me around in different positions. i do have certain places i'll go for consistent tones and effects, like getting leverage for pops off my wrist by flexing off the bridge, but it's pretty loose.

but i play mostly with thumb (inside edge) and index finger (all over the place), which makes this very easy. :rolleyes: