1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right hand problem??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Apr 27, 2006.

1. so i have this problem that when i play my strings hit the poles of the pick ups and make an incredibly disgusting noise. now, technique problem(im used to play uprigth, is my attack to hard?) or should i just lower the pups? btw its a fender fetless jazz and im playing inbetweent the 2 pups favoring the neck side a little.

2. As a former cello and double bass player I would say that, yes, your attack will be harder than most. That said, their is nothing wrong with playing hard. If your not getting fret buzz than you're fine. I'd suggest that you drop the pups and see how it works out. The beauty is that you can always turn up the amp to compensate.

Cheers

3. tahnx man. will have to lower the pups and see wat happens, i just dont have an amp to test it on at my house(im primarily classical and im soon off to college and need a REAL bass, but im working on it. the bay will be my best friend :)) sigh... ill have to wait till tomorrow or something

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I would not lower the pups - I would learn to play lightere and let the amp do the work for you so you can create dynamics -gary willis teaches this approach and it has totally changed my playing

5. At first I lowered pups and it worked fine. Now since watching a Jaco video and admiring his light touch I am learning to do this. It does create a fuller tone.

6. welkl i lowered the pusps, and i think that it was necessary, they were so high that the lightest string depression made them touch the poles and it works mint. i think part of the problem is that i dont have an amp at home to practice with, so i play really loud to hear myself. i really need to get an amp... but i also need a new upright before i go to college(primarily classical upright player)