Right Hand Strengthening Exercises?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CanadaBass, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any techniques they use to strengthen their entire right hand? :meh:

This would be for double slap/pop technique....NOT conventional fingerstyle or slapping. When I spoke briefly with Alain Caron (very nice guy and down to earth) about his technique after a show in 2003, I asked him if he practiced any right hand strengthening techniques. He said he practiced a LOT of them to keep up his right hand chops. He does his technique on regular gauge strings...not light by any means....and you can barely see the string vibrate when he double slaps/plucks. He's the master at economy of motion and making playing look effortless. Didn't really have the chance to ask him what he exactly did, but I am guessing that this might be a key factor in his fretted technique - double slapping + able to pop with ANY of his right hand fingers. If you try this, you may find it to be quite tiring on the right hand after a while.

Does anybody (especially using this technique....I think Victor Wooten's technique would also utilize a lot of right hand strength and dexterity) have any suggestions on increasing the strength of all right hand fingers and the whole right hand? One thing I can think of is (obviously) slowly working on those techniques and slowly bringing them up to speed.....and using a hand strengthening squeeze ball for resistance.

I would think that having excellent right hand strength would be advantageous for tapping techniques as well.

Thanks kindly for your input! :bassist:
  2. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Just start slowly and keep practicing.

Think of how strong your left hand is now compared to when you first started playing bass. Did you do any excercises to increase hand strength? or did you just start playing?

In other words start practicing your technique and the speed and strength will come with time. Unfortunatley there's no shortcuts.It's the same with most things really.

As for the squeezey ball, it might help hand strength but strong hands alone isn't going get you playing that technique any quicker.
  3. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I really don't think that "strength" is the word to focus on here. You don't have to be Arnold to slap/pop. In fact, it's probably better to use less strength. You mentioned how you barely saw any motion. Less is more. I think the word we're looking for here is "coordination". You don't have to be strong to play; especially if your instrument is set up correctly. I think you'll do better with a lighter touch. As for the double pop, don't dig into the string too deep or you'll get hung up.

Keep it loose,