Right-Hand String Skipping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kevin WM, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Kevin WM

Kevin WM

Apr 12, 2021
    Norway
    One of my main issues currently is string skipping.
    I almost only use 3 fingers, but I find it really hard to go one string to another when playing pretty fast riffs.
    I also play on a 6-string bass so there is even more strings to work with..

Do you guys have any recommended string skipping exercises for people that play right-hand 3-fingers?

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Part of the solution will depend on what you do with your right-hand thumb. That is to say floating, moveable anchor, fixed anchor, etc. Each will affect general mobility in different ways.

YMMV

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Have you tried just using two fingers for faster runs?

Lobster11 likes this.
  4. Trilobita

Trilobita

Nov 16, 2018
    Well, given that you mentioned "fast riffs" and "three fingers" in a post related to string-skipping, and on top of that you are located in Norway, chances are you might be into metal music. If you actually are, then it might be useful and enjoyable to learn how to play "Changing perspectives" by Pestilence - it includes at least three different parts with different right-hand string-skipping patterns and you will benefit from using three fingers to play the fast riff between 1:31 and 1:42.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022