right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassandlax, Jan 21, 2002.

1. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,

I was wondering where the ideal place to rest the right hand while playing fingerstyle is. When standing i prefer playing my thumb on the middle single coil and while sitting i prefer putting my thumb at the end of the fingeboard/neck. Is their and advantage to placing your hand in different places... is there a correct way to do it? Cause i do not want to keep practicing impropper form.. and would like ti fix this (if it needs fixing) asap. I am asking this question because most bass players i know play down by the bridge... and i just find this totally uncomfortable.

2. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There is no real correct way to do it, just more effective ways. You get a different sound by playing around different parts of the bass.

I usually play by the bridge normally because I like the punch of it, But sometimes I'll play midway between neck and bridge if I want more clank, my thumb resting on the neck for a bassier sound and on top of the neck (It veries where for which note I'm playing on the board) for more of an upright sound.

I dont think your doing anything incorrect on where your playing.
  3. JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    The only thing that I would add is that your thumb should probably shift and rest on different strings as you move up in pitch to avoid unnecessary vibrations (e.g. rest you thumb on the E string when playing A or D, etc.)

Other than that, it is a personal preference.