Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassandlax, Jan 21, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,

I was wondering where the ideal place to rest the right hand while playing fingerstyle is. When standing i prefer playing my thumb on the middle single coil and while sitting i prefer putting my thumb at the end of the fingeboard/neck. Is their and advantage to placing your hand in different places... is there a correct way to do it? Cause i do not want to keep practicing impropper form.. and would like ti fix this (if it needs fixing) asap. I am asking this question because most bass players i know play down by the bridge... and i just find this totally uncomfortable.

thanks

joe

2. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There is no real correct way to do it, just more effective ways. You get a different sound by playing around different parts of the bass.

I usually play by the bridge normally because I like the punch of it, But sometimes I'll play midway between neck and bridge if I want more clank, my thumb resting on the neck for a bassier sound and on top of the neck (It veries where for which note I'm playing on the board) for more of an upright sound.

I dont think your doing anything incorrect on where your playing.

3. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    The only thing that I would add is that your thumb should probably shift and rest on different strings as you move up in pitch to avoid unnecessary vibrations (e.g. rest you thumb on the E string when playing A or D, etc.)

Other than that, it is a personal preference.