1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

right hand techniques

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fungihead, Jun 20, 2007.

1. fungihead

fungihead

May 24, 2007
    apart from fingerstyle, slap ,and using a plec (boo) what other right hand techniques are there.

i usually slap loads but im not getting any better, and i seem unable to create a groove when i do it, so im gonna try something else. i was thinking about just developing skills in creating bad ass grooves but im just curious to see what else there is in the way of right hand techniques

ive always wondered how fingerpicks (banjostyle lol) would work on bass

2. Muting, popping incorporating your thumb

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    palm muting, sweeping, tapping, pinch harmonics

4. Scot

Scot

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    There would be no surer way to make your bandmates hate you. ;)

Seriously, I like your idea about continuing to work on badass grooves - using all of the right (and left) hand techniques that sound good to you.

5. Try mastering the art of alternative thumb-positionings - on the rear pickup, on the front pickup, on the neck - they all have different sounds and advantages.

I do flamenco/banjo style picking a lot and it definately has its pros and cons. If you're going to persue that avenue then be ready to put away months of practice to get comfortable with it. I say this because it took me about a year before I excelled at it.

I also have a whacky method that is like using a pick but uses the pointer finger instead. I'm not going to get into it but you can send me a private message if you'd like to hear it and other ideas.

Best of luck! Jam on!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021