1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right hand thumb damping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AdamF, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Hi

When I pluck, I play with three fingers on my right hand, and I control the bass with the heel of my right hand so that I do not need to rest my thumb on a string to maintain control. My fungers are long enough that I do not need to move my wrist much to pluck across the strings. So when I play the E the thumn is sometimes over the string, but usually does not play it.

I found with some songs where I had to maintain a sort of strum-ish rhythm where damping was part of the rhythm - Jingo was an example - I found myself playing the rhythm by including a damping of the E string (I only use 4 string basses) with my thumb whilst plucking with the fingers. This seemed to in theory be extendable to other strings (not that I really needed to with that song) by using the top joint of the thumb (where tit sticks out) to get accuracy (rather like slap technique). The fact that set-up I have puts the strings in a slight bow influences this, I think positively. None of the strings were being played open.

Anybody else worked with this technique? I use it very rarely but I found it interesting and a useful arrow to the quiver.

Adam