Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Hand thumb pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ProgThom, Oct 21, 2005.

1. While playing fingerdstyle, I rest my thumb on the back pick up. But after an hour of jamming, my thumb begins to be really sore on the very tip, from being rested on the pick up. Its really affecting my performance. Any suggestions how to prevent this? (Apart from not resting my thumb on tyhe pick up) Thanks.

2. I don't know what to tell you if you don't want to hear the easiest solution. I'm not going to make fun of a guy who anchors with no bad results, but sometimes the best answer to "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" is "Don't do that."

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    +1.

Or at least don't do it so hard!

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Try switching your technique to the "Floating Thumb". Don't always keep your thumb on the pick up, train yourself not too.

Put a piece of felt on the top part of the pickup. :smug:

Moved to technique.....

5. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    There are so amny of these threads about pain.

The best solution is to rest. Maybe for a couple of weeks. You won't lose any ground. As a matter of fact, you will gain.

6. Maybe you could put a little bit of padding on the edge to soften it.

7. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah there are a lot of threads about pain, but tber's often have a hard time distinguishing between different kinds of pain.

The skin on the end of your thumb is sore from friction? Play through it, you'll wind up with a callous, and it won't be a problem.

If the joints in your thumb, or your hand or wrist are hurting, then you definitely need to rest more.

8. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    try putting a piece of clay on the edge