1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Right hand two finger technique exercises.

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by peri75, Sep 26, 2009.

1. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Does anyone know where I can find some medium to advanced level exercises for the two finger style on the internet?Thank you.

2. about any Tower of Power recording will do......

I came home a bit plastered from a gig and decided I would play "What is Hip" on my upright. Next morning my fingertips were raw, and I had to play slab bass that night..

Come to think of it- early James Brown- "Super Bad" was done on an upright...

3. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Thanx for the reply.I was actually wondering if there is a set of written exercises that specifies string crossings and use of first or middle finger in a systematic manner.

4. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    There's a book called 'A Contemporary Concept of Bowing Technique for the Double Bass' by Fredrick Zimmerman. The books purpose is to isolate and improve string crossings with the bow, but you can practice the string crossings with 2 finger pizz.

5. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Thank you,
    I've come up with a few exercises of my own.I start my practise sessions with a 15 min warm up of my right hand(after I'm done with my 30 min Simandl workout) where I use different string crossings along with different patterns for the first and middle finger.Recently I started playing these over a steady metronome beat( 40-60 ) using variations of quarter notes,eight notes,eight note triplets,16th's,quinteplets(not sure if i spelled this correctly),16th note triplets.I do this exercise with open strings as I think that string crossings,use of the correct right hand finger AND rythm are quite enough information for my brain to try to assimilate.Any thoughts on these?

6. look for something called the "zimmerman excercise". it is really great, and really has helped me develop more control with my right hand.

7. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Is the "zimmerman exercise" for pizzicato playing though?