Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right hand warm-up exercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vorago, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Heya,

I wondered if there are any good right hand (plucking) warm up exercises out there? I found some really great ones on Stews site (the guy with the ├╝bermighty Conklin :) ), but is there an equal for your right hand?

I often have troubles with cold hands, and I soak em in hot water, which helps, but it isn't always enough...

Anyone?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Try playing Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica with your fingers. If you can play that with 4 fingers (or better yet, 3 fingers,) you've mastered playing with your fingers at uber speed. Cliff Burton can do it, Robert Trujillo can do it, and I can do it! It takes LOTS and LOTS of practice though.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Wow, nobody's made the joke yet.

You know? The one where they say "I know a way to warm your right hand . . . . . ."

:D

4. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Put in on your wood..

5. dunharrow

dunharrow

Feb 22, 2005
    Minneapolis MN
    This exercise doesn't involve the thumb but running through it all the way at least once always helps me warm up a bit.

I start on the G string and work my way down.
    I=index finger
    M=middle finger
    A=anular finger
    play through each line several times before moving on to the next.

IM
    MI
    AM
    MA
    AI
    IA

Try it out and see how you like it. I hope it helps.

6. Easy, give the sign of the devil (dude),then give the finger,then poke two fingers up at the queen and finish off with a lovely thumbs up. Do that for a few minutes.
    Either that or Reign in blood by slayer but that kills ya.
    Have fun Tally ho