Right Hand Warm Up (Picking)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Machismo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    Any exercises or advice on warming up your right hand? I play with a pick and only downpick. I play technical, fast songs so I'm looking for decent warm up exercises to get started. Thanks

2. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Without up-picking? Sorry...nope I got nothing. I can't play fast without up-picking.
    With up-picking, I warm up my right to Sound Chaser, by Yes, like this dude;

3. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    Chris squire is a really good bassist, i think playing to some Yes would be good

NealBass likes this.
  4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I play all downstrokes, too. Play along to some uptempo Ramones or Misfits songs for 10-15 minutes. That will get you warmed up.

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Regardless of what you play or how you play, the idea of a warm up is to get the hands ready for the task ahead. Therefore IMO the main thing is to play slowly for about five minutes or so. Dont neglect the left hand either. Before you even touch the bass consider doing the exercises in the clip below...for both hands.

petergales and AaronVonRock like this.
  6. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    Cool, will do. I think dee dee ramone only downpicks too. I was watching a live concert from the 70's and that's all he does

7. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    I think that's good advice. Playing slow for five minutes or so sounds reasonable. I'm ok with warming up my left hand, a lot of exercises for that. But not too many exercises for the right hand for people that play with a pick

8. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    Btw any particular ramones or misfits songs you recommend to warm up too?

9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Yes, Dee Dee used all downstrokes. While Ramones and Misfits songs aren't difficult, it does take a bit of technique and stamina to play them and make them sound tight. Plus, I think playing songs is more fun and interesting than playing exercises and scales to warm-up.

10. Machismo

Machismo

Feb 5, 2014
    Yeah I prefer playing along to songs rather than exercises. Thanks for the help