right hand warm-ups

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 440Hz, Nov 18, 2003.

1. 440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    I have been playing bass for quite some time, though as of recently, have been having some issues with my right hand, mainly between my index and middle finger. I am wondering if anyone has some sorta training regiment for 1)warm ups and 2) building strength in fingers/forearm. sorry if this has been asked before as i just found out about this killer site.
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The best way is to get a metronome and practice slow to moderate quarter notes (while going through major or minor scales or going up and down the neck cromatically) while watching your right hand technique (I,M,I,M,etc.). If you pay attention to your technique when you are going slow, when you bump up the metronome to build speed you'll be playing the right way.

Everybody should practice with a metronome...but I don't always do it:(

You should start playing with slow quarter notes going up and down the neck to warm up that way your hand doesn't cramp up when you start jamming.
  3. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

Excellent advice, Schwinn. Absolutely NO ONE is exempt from practicing with a metronome! Even if only from time to time, practicing with it is vital to achieving near-perfect timing.
  4. hey,

i always stretch before playing. i got a bit of RSI for a while there and a read that strtching would help. And it has. I mainly just stretch my fingers, but i also stretch my whole wrist back and that helped a lot with my left hand.

As for warming up? well, whenever i feel my fingers are moving slowly i run them under hot water for a while. A little strange, but i got it from my little bro who is a pianist:smug:

have fun,

organworthyplayer337 likes this.