Right handed neck on a lefty body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by garciawork, Jan 15, 2017.

1. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Hey guys, other than the tuners being on the more difficult side to reach, is there a reason a righty Fender or Fender-style neck wouldn't work on a lefty body? I had heard, years ago, that truss rods are designed with string tension related to orientation, but if memory serves, that was specifically related to acoustic guitars. Just curious, if I see a maple neck I like, I wouldn't mind throwing it on my Jazz for kicks, but don't know if the strings being upside down would warp the neck or anything. Thanks!

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Wow! Brand new truss rod myth. Who thinks of this stuff?

Think about it. A typical truss rod is a piece of round steel bar, threaded on one end and anchored in the neck at the other end. It is buried in the middle of the neck cannot favor either side*. If there are two rods they are adjusted individually but work together. The relief on bass and treble sides can be customized to a certain extent.

Fender style left handed necks fit right handed bodies and vice versa. The nut should be removed and replaced with a new one that is cut for reversed stringing. Unless, of course, you want to play upside down like Jimmy Haslip.

*If the neck has an asymmetrical profile an argument can be made that the neck will react differently on one side than the other.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    sissy kathy likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No. It simply can not be done. Period. ;)
    IMAG0474.jpg BBGOLDDUSTYHILL.jpg 1978fenderpjpg_zps26cab81d.png 0158602806_frt_wlg.png

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Left hande necks, left handed smoke shifters, etc.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You won't have side dots.

sissy kathy and Danilixo like this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ...you'll have'em; but they'll be on the bottom. Not much good there.

lz4005 likes this.
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    waste of good lefty parts that a real lefty might need.
    ... unless youre a lefty, then go right ahead

8. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    I am indeed a lefty, and lefty maple necks for bass aren't the most common, unfortunately.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Warmoth makes'em.

10. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Oh I know, I was just asking in case one pops up used or something and the price is right.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021