1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Right handed neck on Left Handed bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dwagner, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I've heard people complain about the soft, prone to warp neck of the Squier VM jazz. I was thinking about buying a replacement neck sooner or later, depending on how I like the bass when it comes in the mail today. Is it possible to simply slap on a righty neck instead of a left handed one? The tuners obviously are staggered so the low E string would be the farthest from the body while the High G string would be the closest tuner. Would this matter? I am thinking about doing this mainly because it is much easier to come across righty necks than lefty ones.

Thoughts?

2. I play a few right handed basses strung reversed, and I have never had a problem. You'd just have to turn the nut around or replace it with a left handed one. My main bass is a righty Fender that I play lefty, and I've been playing it that way for 4 years with no problems

3. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Warmoth makes a right-hand reverse neck, like what you're describing, but for a righty. Obviously flipping the nut is the first step, but you may need to see if the string tree will work with the low E. It should, but just a thought.

4. volkzman

volkzman

Mar 2, 2013
    Hey guys I have a right jazz with a left neck that is awesome and fun to play cheap build and just a larger tree for the low e and holds a tune and hasn't went out of any adjustment in 4 years I'll post pics soon

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have heard a lot of complaints about the Squier VM and that is a new one. It might be common but it is news to me and I am a regular here. I honestly wouldn't fret about it for a second and only replace the neck if it actually did warp, which it probably won't, at least any time soon.

6. volkzman

volkzman

Mar 2, 2013
    Its a rouge copy but i haven't had any problem even with my VM squires or custom mim pbass

Attached Files:

7. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I dig the reverse headstock look on a Fender. The dude from Jimmy Eat World has a P with a reverse neck.

8. volkzman

volkzman

Mar 2, 2013
    So does dusty from zztop I'm fixing to start a 51 p build left body with right tele neck pbass pickups at bridge and soap bar or hummbucker with switchable cut down to single coil at the neck but I wanna route the body and build it from a blank then relic it

9. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    Cool?

10. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I play lefty and I've had both variations of necks on bodies and it works fine for any mismatched neck that would work with the matched variant. Just nut and string trees to deal with.

11. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    *Zombie thread alert* I saw this picture and wanted to ask, is that an SX neck? If so, I just did the same thing with my SX bass (lefty neck on a righty bass), and I didn't replace the string tree. The E and A strings fit the string tree just fine.