right index finger...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Berhinger, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Berhinger

Feb 7, 2004
    My right index finger is bleeding under the nail from plucking. Now, its really painful, and I have to use a pick, which I really dislike. Any suggestions on to keep this from happening? I've just come over to bass from playing guitar for two years, and really din't want to use a pick. :bawl:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That happened to me from slapping a lot. I got it from when i pop on the D stirng , it rubs against the G string. When you say plucking, do you mean popping or regular fingerstyle?
  3. Are you plucking with your fingernails? I pluck with the pads of my finger tips, just slightly opposite my nails and have never experienced your problem, at least from playing bass. However, I keep my nails trimmed fairly short to prevent catching them on the strings. I do know the pain you describe, because I've caught a fingernail on things while at work, separating the nail from the quick, and it is indeed painful.
  4. Berhinger

Feb 7, 2004
    Regular finger style, well generally I hit the string with the pad, but I think I make to big of a motion with my finger when I'm fingering. I hit the bass at the end of every note, and I rest my thumb on the pickup (Jazz bass style) when not slapping. I don't know if its my technique.