1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

right index finger...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Berhinger, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Berhinger

Berhinger

Feb 7, 2004
    My right index finger is bleeding under the nail from plucking. Now, its really painful, and I have to use a pick, which I really dislike. Any suggestions on to keep this from happening? I've just come over to bass from playing guitar for two years, and really din't want to use a pick. :bawl:
    Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That happened to me from slapping a lot. I got it from when i pop on the D stirng , it rubs against the G string. When you say plucking, do you mean popping or regular fingerstyle?

3. Are you plucking with your fingernails? I pluck with the pads of my finger tips, just slightly opposite my nails and have never experienced your problem, at least from playing bass. However, I keep my nails trimmed fairly short to prevent catching them on the strings. I do know the pain you describe, because I've caught a fingernail on things while at work, separating the nail from the quick, and it is indeed painful.

4. Berhinger

Berhinger

Feb 7, 2004
    Regular finger style, well generally I hit the string with the pad, but I think I make to big of a motion with my finger when I'm fingering. I hit the bass at the end of every note, and I rest my thumb on the pickup (Jazz bass style) when not slapping. I don't know if its my technique.