Right Kind of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DarkMazda, May 5, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    JT!!! where are you!!! hehe IM planning to tune my Bass A-Db-Gb-B-E for Band purposes (Im using 2 basses right now for band, AEADG and DbGbBE. and I was like "bah screw it, just use 1 bass for band) and i planned this layout. It can't be that bad. the DbGbBE is just 1/2 step off DGCF, which tuned in 4ths including A.. like ADGCF. so it can't be bad.. I was thinking what kinda gauges should I use.. I was thinking about 0.050-0.135 but maybe somethign tigther since they are 1 step and 1 1/2 step down. any reocmmendations?
  2. *confused voice on*
    Basses are tuned EADG or BEAD.
    *confused voice off*

3. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    There is a rule of thumb for this situation. Okay take the string gauges you like to play in standard. For every half step you drop from there add .005 to the gauge of the string. If you do this your intonation and tension will remain as good as possible on the instrument. For example, if you normally like your E string as a .100 gauge string and you wanted to drop it to Db then to keep the playibility and sound the same you would use a .115 gauge string. I learned this from a guitar tech and it has worked perfectly for me. The only problem you may face now is finding the right gauge string at the store. Good Luck with the band.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    *DM is totally confused now :rolleyes:*
  5. > A-Db-Gb-B-E

Not Ab? Interesting.

Hey berserk, thanks for the info, it'll probably come in useful some day.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    kurosawa: isit interesting? :) coolz, i'll be different lol ^_^
  7. Actually, I once had a wild thought about stringing a multi-string bass in major thirds (going up) so chromatic runs wouldn't incur any stretch at all. But I never got around to it.
  8. berserk is right...a string with more mass needs to be brought to a higher tension to get to pitch..so if you drop tune,a heavier guage would be better so the strings are not floppy...scale length has a lot to do with tension also,thats why a lot of 5 string models are 35" scale so the B remains tight.the longer the scale the more tension is needed to bring a string to pitch..so if you own a 5 string(with a 35" scale length) take that into consideration also.